Steering stablizer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Default Steering stablizer?

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the 250 doesn't have steering stablizers on it does it? And if that's the case, how does it affect the riding of the bike? The bike fits me great when I sat on it at the dealer, but have heard some cons about it. I really want this bike but want to also know what I'm getting into. Is it pretty stable on the highway or does it have a shake or kinda clunk like I've heard? Just a few questions, hope you can help.......Thanks

Old 09-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Steering stablizer?

I don't think the 250 has a stabilizer on it, but I can't really imagine needing one on it. From what I've heard about the 250, it's fairly stable at highway speeds, but the engine is working so hard you'll have more vibration than you would on a bike with a bigger engine. It's also really small and light, which again is great for a first bike, but on the highway you'll get blown around in the wind and turbulance more than you would on a bigger bike. A steering stabilizer isn't going to stop you from being blown around in the wind, it's really there to stop head-shake from turning into a tank slapper. The people that I've seen complain about headshake the most are those people that are regularly pulling wheelies, or are just accelerating out of a corner so fast that their front wheel leaves the ground and then sets down off-angle, swings back the other way, back and forth, etc... If you're doing this often, you should probably either change the way you ride, or throw on a stabilizer and take it to the track. I haven't heard anyone talk about the front wheel leaving the ground on a 250 unless they were really trying to make it happen.

I don't know what you mean by "clunk" unless you're referring to the transmission.. Kawi's have always had a poor reputation for clunky tranny's, but it all depends on who you ask, and whether or not they own a Kawi... It's not a big deal, don't let it stop you from buying the bike.

In the end, I'd say the 250 would be a great learning bike, but I'd be careful with it on the highway. I'm thinking about getting one for my g/f... She's short, so it'd fit her really well, and they're so cheap, you can't really go wrong with it. They also re-sell pretty well when you're done with it and looking to move up.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

I am pretty positive that no one makes a stabilizer for the 250's (or the 500's). Like Gerg said, they are very light bikes and the wind will probably 'push' you around quite a bit (I know it does on my 500!). These bikes (the 250 and 500) are great bikes for new riders. They have plenty enough power for a new rider but they are also somewhat predictable in the way that they handle. I have never had a surprise on mine. They handle very well in corners too

To be honest - I don't think that you can go wrong with the smaller bikes. I am very happy with my decision in buying the 500.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:11 AM

Well that clears a lot of my worry up. I don't think I'll be doing any wheelies anytime soon, or later for that matter. I just want something I can enjoy and save some gas on. But I can see me moving up to a bigger bike later like a 600 or something. But that's not going to be for a while. Thanks for the quick responses. It's been a good expierience so far in here. Thank you.