Starting out on a 250...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Default Starting out on a 250...?

Hi guys, just another noob here hehe

Here's a little background; I'm 17, I road race with SCCA in a spec miata, and I have a total of about 1 hour ride time on anything on 2 wheels (except for a bicycle). I have driven a dirtbike for just an extremely small amount of time.

Recently I have shown an interest in motorcycles, especially something small like a ninja 250.

But one problem I am running into is my parents; some of you may remember your parents claiming it is very unsafe (which I do understand it can be), but for goodness' sake, I road race twice a month . So may I have any suggestions as to how to convince my parents it really wouldn't be that unsafe, or should I just wait until I'm 18 (few months) and just pay for one with my own money?

I dropped by my local bike shop, looked at the 08 250R, and fell in love immediately . Even though I most likely would get a lightly used early 2000 something

And please, don't mistake me for some little punk teenager who is just looking for a cheap thrill, or one who is a whiney little kid just wanting to go fast.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Default RE: Starting out on a 250...?

i just got one. gets delivered in may

i mean if you respect the bike and know your ability, it is pretty safe i would imagine. the bike im getting is the first for me though and ive read its a great starter bike

Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 PM

Buy the bike with your cash. Nothing more nothing less

Old 04-25-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

buy it for yourself - no point in trying to convince the parents to help you get something they don't want you to have.

make sure you set asside a couple hundred dollars for helmet/jacket/boots/gloves at a minimum. if you shop around and ask around here for where the deals are then you can get all that stuff for about 300$ with good but inexpensive gear.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 PM
cls
1st Gear Member

My personal opinion is you shouldn't buy it, regardless of how, if you're still living w/your parents. Seems a bit disrespectful to me...These things are also very dangerous. You can limit the risk, but it's still a significant risk. This is an undeniably true story. However, I also readily recognize that most of the risky things in my life have also been many of the most rewarding and enjoyable. Make your choices and accept the consequences.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JT_Moore

Hi guys, just another noob here hehe

But one problem I am running into is my parents; some of you may remember your parents claiming it is very unsafe (which I do understand it can be), but for goodness' sake, I road race twice a month . So may I have any suggestions as to how to convince my parents it really wouldn't be that unsafe, or should I just wait until I'm 18 (few months) and just pay for one with my own money?

Parents...what a pain in the *** they are... J/K, I'm a grandparent now (4 grandsons, oldest is almost 7). You should wait until you're 18 to buy a "starter" bike like the Ninja 250, but you should start now telling your parents that you're serious about it, explain the MSF course (stress safety course), tell them about the riding gear you intend to use, etc. Make sure they believe you are being mature about it whatever you do....I've got a 19 year old stepson that has had 3 car accidents since he got his license 3 years ago...I wouldn't go near talking about motorcycles with that kid. Oh yeah, Good Luck buddy.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I definately wouldn't go and buy a bike w/ my money or not if I was under there roof if i didn't have there blessing or at least understanding. When I went about getting my bike I bought ALL my gearfirst showing I'm serious about getting a bike and first and foremost going to be as safe as I could and it also gettings some extra expense out of the way.Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:48 AM

I disagree. Don't kill yourself at 17 but its ok at 18. If you want the bike and have the money to buy it GO OUT AND BUY IT. Live your life. Life if short, and you only live once.

If you are relying on your parents to buy you one then I would say forget it. If they don't want you to have one then that's it, final.

Motorcycling is dangerous but then again so is eating too much, drinking too much, having unprotected sex...........the list goes on and on. Ride responsibly, learn everything you can and continue to learn and let the experience come to you rather you trying to push your limits too quickly on the road. And wear gear and ride like everyone out there is trying to kill you. BE ALERT and pay attention and try to aticipate as much as possible.

250 is a great bike but I think you would probably want to move up later. Even though you think you have mastered the 250 don't get too relaxed. That's when you stop being attentive.

I have been riding for a number of years. 1000cc and up is what I like. I got the ninja 250 as a commuter bike. Great gas, low cost and I really would not want to ride my other more powerful more expensive machines on a daily basis to work. I treasure them too much and if someone were to come near them I would probably start to get worried.

The little ninja 250 is a great bike and I am actually gaining more confidence with it in relation to taking corners. It's less jerky and really forgiving.

Key to anything is be resposible as much to your ability and try and learn and improve.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Lets be realistic. if you're 17 or 18 and living at home (nothing wrong w/ that for the record) that money that's "yours" would not be there if you weren't under someones roof and having to pay for your own. So as long as you're at home your parents will be helping you pay for it... I could be worn but isn't that common sence? And one question if "lifes too short" drinking, sex, etc. then why worry about riding that "nice bike"? I think 250 are very nice bikes and I'm a bit confussed what you're even saying NB it seems a bit contradictory but I can be a space cadet. But back to "mr" Moore if you're taking care of yourself then I say do what you will, have fun, and don't look back!!! ps just try not to disrespect your parents if within reason.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 AM
1st Gear Member

If this is your first bike, I would get my permit first, take the MSF course second, and third get some gear (helmet, gloves, jacket with body armour, pants, boots). Then, I would see about purchasing a bike. Not only is this good for you, but I think it would show your parents you are serious about safety and riding your bike safely. And as long as you are living under their roof, they are still in charge. If you want to do what you please, do like my kids and move out. Not trying to be mean, just looking at it from a parents point of view....

Quick Reply: Starting out on a 250...?