someone plz help important

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Question someone plz help important

hello i have a 08 250 and ive been having problems with the bike randomly shutting off when im riding. its happen twice once when i was on a back rode(thank god) other when i was on the highway(not good). the first time i just went to the side of the road sat there for a minute then tried stating it and it started right up with no choke. i live in florida and its always hotout so i never have to use the choke. the second time when i was on the highway i just hit 60 then i had no throttle response at all. once i got to the side and slowed down to like 5mph the oil light and overheat light came on like it normally does when you turn it to the on position with the bike not started. once i was stopped i tried starting it back up and it wouldnt start. tried 3 times with no choke and nothing. turned the choke on and it started right up. both times before it died i was riding for like 10 minutes and gave it a couple mins to warm up first. i have no idea why its shutting off like this. ive checked the carbs theyre clean as hell and changed the coolant like 2 weeks ago and it had a full tank of 93. the little filter that goes to the carb on the fuel line was clean as well. ive heard these bikes run lean from the factory and also the guy before me put a slipon on it. would that make it run leaner? could that be the problem? im lost.thanks for reading this long post. i appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Not sure about the problem, but I wanted to welcome you and bump this for you so it doesn't get missed. good luck.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

vapor lock? pinched vent hose?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I would bypass the sidestand switch first and see if that is the problem. If you follow the wires up the frame, you'll see where youcan unplug it and just connect the harness wires together.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 PM

thanks guys for all the help. I will try the kicstand thing but I really think it has to be a fuel problem. also it makes that whistling noise from the gas tank. would that have something to do with my problem? I've riden aabbout 500 miles on the bike and this is only happen twice so it doesn't happen all the time. its gotta be something stupid. thanks in advance for anymore help.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Loose battery cables can cause some jinky electronic stuff and maybe shut off the electronic ignition... might check to see that the cables are tight/not corroded.

Did the guy before you also put in a high-flow air filter with the slip-on? A higher flowing exhaust and higher flowing intake will lean it even further.

If it is not the kickstand switch, then check your battery cables... if they are tight then you might need to go to a stage 1 dynojet jet kit to richen it up some.

Just my thoughts.......

Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 PM

alright I will check all that out. and no he didn't put a high flow air filter in. the bike has a alarm on it could that be possibly making it the electrical system not get good connection from the battery? also could I just mess with the mixture screws a little instead of buying a jet kit? the bike pops a lot when downshift and slow down. thanks for the advice.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

the bike has a alarm on it could that be possibly making it the electrical system not get good connection from the battery?
Good info to know and to check out.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kawi89
the bike pops a lot when downshift and slow down
Sounds lean. Also, usually need to block-off the exhaust air injection system (KCAS I believe it is called on this bike) with slip-on exhaust. This usually reduces/eliminates the popping on decel.

Does the alarm system have an ignition kill feature? If so, then the aalarm could have bad connections or be malfunctioning. Try to disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.