Solo cowl for pre-08 250 ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Solo cowl for pre-08 250 ??

Anyone know where I might find a rear seat cowl for a pre-'08 250? I found this picture but it has no info. Thanks

Name:  SeatCowl.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  90.2 KB

Old 05-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Default RE: Solo cowl for pre-08 250 ??

I'm in the same situation. I would love to be able to add the solo cowl to my 06 ninja 250. I shopped around and this web site is the only thing I could find. I'm a little leary about ordering it because I'm not 100% sure about it working... But if you find out anything else please let me know. If I read it right it is the two side pieces molded into one, and fits over your stock seat. Then they have a solo cowl that you can put on top of your seat, but they say to velcro it on. Don't like that idea much. Take a look

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...2501988-06.htm

Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info..its a place to start. To be honest, the idea of velcro doesn't bother me nearly as much as "Please note: Requires removal of grab bar".
I'm trying to envision what it would look like with the grab bar removed...isn't that a pretty substantial piece that would leave a hole back there? I'm guessing the cowl would cover the hole....

I found a pic of a 250 with the handle shaved...and I liked it, but the entire handle wasn't removed and he had no cowl. It looked sharp.

Pondering.....

Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM

Okay, I bet that since it requires you to remove the grab bar it must fill that void. The other piece I was looking at doesn't have a hole cut for the rear tail light and at the bottom of the add it says that
All of our parts may or may not include the internal mounting tabs. Please consult with our sales representative if you have any questions about mounting things like headlights and dashes.

Now it is one thing to drill a hole but what do you do if the internal tit on the fairing is not made into the fairing.? Plus the cost for just the solo seat is 99 bucks. and the cost of the entire solo tail section is 200. I'd rather spend the extra and get the entire piece so the paint color would defintatly match.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

That big piece looks like a lot more work.You run the risk of the paint not matching the paint on the tank. It would be harder to see a paint mismatch with just the rear seat cowl vs. the entire piece. In my case, I'd also have to buy decals.

From reading the instructions, it seems likethe whole thing, including theseathas to come off if you need to access the coolant tank or rear brake system. And I'd have to cut it so the taillights could be seen. It does provide a cleaner cowl (no lines) but it'd take some work.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:00 PM

yEA i see what you mean. but I guess with anything you run the risk of the paint not matching. I like the no lines. but for conventional reasons I bet it is not worth it. You would have to take that piece off, to be able to take the seat off. I'm with you on the decals. Mine has that flame going from the front to the back. I kind of like it but i guess i could do without. I did find this place on ebay that has the upper and lower front fairings in a fiberglass. I have looked for the solo piece for months for the 250 and these are the only two places I found anything.

The website i listed earlier I don't think said what it was made of ,, I just assummed it was plastics. I might email the guy from ebay and see if they make a solo section for the 250. Try looking at this link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

Old 05-07-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

It says "HAND LAID FIBERGLASS" right below the big picture. You can kinda tell it's fg by the looks of the inside. This is actually in Rockwall, TX, a little ways from my house in Plano. I spoke with them about something for my 94 Ninja a while back (can't remember what I was after) and I asked if I could save the freight charges by picking it up. He told me I was free to pick it up, but he'd have to charge me the same price anyway. He didn't make a great first impression on me.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 PM

OKAY, I KNOW THE GUY ON EBAY IS FIBERGALSS BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER WEB SITE? AIRTECH? IS AIRTECH STUFF FIBERGLASS TO? OH YEA THOSE GUYS ON EBAY MAKE A KILLING ON SHIPPING. I WAS LOOKING A LEATHER JACKETS. oNE PLACE HAD A COOL JACKET NOT A BAD PRICE BUT THE SHIPPING WAS 50 BUCKS..... NO WAY. THE SAVINGS ON THE JACKET WASN'T WORTH THE 50 EXTRA.

ANYWAY, LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANYTHING ELSE OR GET THAT SOLO PIECE. i REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THAT WORKS OUT. oH PS CHECK OUT MY MYSPACE PAGE, GOT A BUNCH OF BLOGS ABOUT WHEN I GOT MY BIKE AND WENT dITCH RIDING, (NOT ON PURPOSE) ON THE SECOND DAY. AND HAVE BEEN REPAIRING STUFF EVERY SINCE.
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/STORM1974

Old 05-07-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh man..ditch riding. I guess my overly-careful nature has paid off.

The airtech stuff looks like plastic. If it's fiberglass, I'll pass. My other concern is that I wonder if they've accounted for the thickness of velcro when they designed this thing. If I velcro it to the seat and it doesn't come down flush with the side panel, I would be PISSED.

I may give them a call when I'm closer to spending $99 plus paintfor this 'fluff'. :-)

Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 PM

wELL i'M USUALLY PRETTY CAREFUL BUT I THOUGHT I WAS COMING TO THE CURVE TO QUICK AND I HIT THE FRONT BRAKE TO HARD. ENDED UP FACE DOWN IN A DEEP DITCH. i HAD A FRIEND OF MINE THAT IS VERY EXPERIENCED TELL ME THAT SINCE i DID IT ONCE I WON'T DO IT AGAIN...

I HAVE TO SAY, AFTER ADJUSTING MY CHAIN TENSION LAST NIGHT I TOOK IT FOR A SHORT SPIN AND HAD THE EXTREME UNPLEASURE OF MEETING TWO OPOSSOMS... NOT ONE BUT TWO. THE FIRST ONE LIVED. QUICK THINKING AND A GENTLE SWERVE. BUT THE SECOND ONE WAS NOT SO LUCKY. I'M JUST THANKFUL THAT I STAYED MY BUTT ON THE BIKE THIS TIME.

Quick Reply: Solo cowl for pre-08 250 ??