Riding the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Default Riding the clutch?

Like I said in my other thread, im new to this whole riding thing..

I practiced going down the street with my ninja and noticed when im in 2nd gear and let off the throttle, it kinda jerks or is waiting for me to go faster or something... and when i squeeze in the clutch, its a lot smoother and the engine doesnt make so much noise..

I think its smoother because when engaging the clutch im allowing the back wheel to adjust to the road speed....

so the question is... is it OK for me to do this?? In the safety course we were taught to ride the clutch in 1st gear, but im not sure if its ok in 2nd gear....?

any other advise for it to not "jerk" when I let off the throttle in 2nd?

Old 05-25-2007, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Riding the clutch?

it almost sounds like you poping the clutch. which is letting go of the clutch to fast and making the bike jump. after you ride for a while you'll learn when to let the clutch all the way out to keep it from jumping into gear.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

+1
And yes it is ok to ride the clutch, that is how i learned and no it wont have any ill effects on the bike.
It could also be because you are not revving it high enough before you shift up from first.

But you will get the hang of it

Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 PM

no im not talking about upshifting..... I can let go of the clutch slowly and throttle it smoothly... but when im cruising in 2nd gear and then let the throttle go it'll jerk *back* like.. slow down quickly... unless i engage the clutch... maybe im going too slow to be in 2nd???

(this is just riding around my neighborhood)

Old 05-25-2007, 09:24 PM

azz, I needed to know that too. excellent confirmation man

Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Slowly come off the throttle. Don't snap off of it real fast.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

+1
Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Prractice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Prractice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Prractice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Prractice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Prractice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Prractice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Prractice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Prractice Practice Practice.

lol JK "Cyndia" I had to do that.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:49 PM

yeah im workin on it lol

I never drove a manual car either so this whole shifting business is new to me... Ive been told I'm doing good...

Old 05-29-2007, 03:50 PM

It takes time, you will get it and make it smooth, don't worry.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

like everyone said it takes practice. for not ever driving a mannual car and your riding a bike is good. now you'll probly be able to drive a mannual car. LOL have fun on the bike and you'll get the hang of it

Quick Reply: Riding the clutch?