Requesting input from all 08 250R owners!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Requesting input from all 08 250R owners!

I have had the 08 250R for about a month now and love it. I use it to commute with about half my trip on the highway. The only time I have had a problem with handling was a few days ago before a storm blew in and we had 30mph crosswinds. It was real workout but even the cars were all over the road. Other than that I have had no problems. I agree with others were saying about keeping it below 4000rpms. That is almost not possible since in 6th gear at 4K you are running around 36mph. Acceleration is great from takeoff and it picks up fast until you get to higher speeds.

As far as the idle speed. Mine was idling very high the first week, like around 3000rpms, but I have since adjusted it and once the bike is warm it sits at 1300rpms. I am a little disapointed with the fuel milage. I was expecting at least 65mpg but so far am only getting 56, which aint bad, but I was expecting better. I have even been trying to take it easy to see if I can push that further.

Final review....I love it. It suits me for exactly what I purchased it for. I live is mississippi and I called every dealer in MS, LA, and AL and almost no one had one in stock or if they did it was not the color I wanted. They also would not come off the MSRP one penny so out the door was going to be 4000. I found a small dealer in Laurel, MS that had just got one in in the color I wanted and he gave me a price of 3199 so out the door was 3500.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 AM

I found out for myself. This is a great little bike. It could use some more power but that would make this less economical and cost more. For the price this is the bike to get this year.

It has adequate power to get you moving. You will be moving along with cars trucks and minivans. You will not be pulling away from them. Unless you pin the throttle and try to but be warned they will be able to keep up with you.

Comfy enough but since you sit a little more upright than a typical sportbike the seat could be a little softer, plush.

Looks good, great gas mileage. Around 60mpg.

Good brakes.

What outshines on this bike is its handling. That is this bike's strongpoint. It's handling and stability. Wind blast will not toss this bike around. It has good wind protection and you hardly feel wind blast from the big semi trucks. That was impressive to me and made me happier that I got it for a commuter.

I can't think of anything bad about this bike. Kawasaki did good with this one. And they offer it at a great price. Nothing else comes close for the price.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 AM

I have had my 08 for 2 weeks and am really satisfied in general. I did get the bong in the bung at the dealer though, but I am over it now. $7700 out the door with full 5year coverage. Yeah I know I should have read closer, but when I asked the guy he said "costs nothing, sign the damn papers"...
Anyways I do get all the adjustments and oil changes free for 5 years so wooptie... The bike itself is a statement all its own. It gives very sporty styling and fools many of people with its performance and appearance. The dealer told me not to go above 7000rpm and if I did get it on the highway and run her any harder, "just don't hold her at the same RPM for very long at a time"... Seems to do very well in the 5 miles of interstate I have run this week. Very suprising is the fact that up many of good hills I don't even have to downshift from 6th, even if I am at 40mph at the bottom. I have been thinking about buying a 48tooth rear sprocket to lower the constant RPMs of interstate speeds... I am 250lbs so I am not the lightest chunk of lead riding on top of her. When cold you do have to let her warm up in the morninga bit or she flatspots through the gears, but after 5 minutes she is up and sparking...

Old 05-03-2008, 09:09 PM

I have had mine for about 3 weeks.It took 2weeks of driving as often as i could to get her broke in buti did. And i love it. Alot different then other bikes i'v had, 1975 honda 550 ss/1980kawasaki kz750/1975 honda cb 750. alot lighter then all my other bikes and better handling to. i ride about 89 miles a day to work and back mostly 55 it does very well.I havent ben left at a stoplight yet, even *** camaro took abit to catch up. allaround great commuter bike .

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Ninja250

I have to say that my 94 250 is a little un-nerving on the highway. It's got new tires and the suspension is in good shape, so I can only attribute its behavior to its light weight. My Yamaha 750 was barely affected by crosswinds and turbulence from cars, but the Ninja seems quite vulnerable to both. Naturally the key is to not panic and over-compensate. To the bike's credit, it has excellent balance and seems to almost correct itself, but I can't say I enjoy driving on the highway while leaning into a crosswind. I'd say that if your bike is going to be doing much highway duty, something heavier and more powerful might be a better option. While the 250 is willing to go 70mph, it's working pretty hard to do so. Iopt forsecondary roads wheneveravailable....this bike is better suited for city driving.
As an 08 owner, I have to agree here. I have already laid mine down from a wind gust in a corner (not hurt bad, slow speed) but riding to and from work 50 miles on the interstate I do get blown around by the big rigs. I bought mine for gas mileage and low price. But after experiencing gusty winds (20-30 mph) and riding it around, I wish I had a heavier bike. My friend rides a sportster 883 and the wind doesn't blow him around like it does me. I could ride secondary roads, but would take longer to get to work. City commuting for this bike is ideal. I paid $3900 out the door for mine and the dealer has been excellent. If you are in the Illinois or Misouri area SouthernIllinois Motorsports is the dealer to check out....my .$02

Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

08 250R: I've rode to work twice on the highway which is only 17 miles. I kept it between 62-65mph. I only once got it up to 75. I only have 130 something miles on it and have since kept it off the highway until I hit the 500 mark. I am hearing that people who do not keep it at least close to the break in procedure are having idling problems around the 1,500 or more miles on it as well as a little bit of bog when hitting the throttle in 5th and 6th gear. People who have kept it close to the break in have not had any problems from what I have read.

As for me, the only two times I had it on the high way, there was about a 20mph wind each time but it was not too bad. Of course, this is my first bike so I am not sure what the heavier ones would feel like. I think it was ok for me except for being crouched over for 17 miles each way. It averages around 6,500 -7,500 rpm at LAW speeds on the highway and you said you like to go around 85 so I am not sure about that speed yet. Can't wait though. I had no problems with big rigs riding those two days here in the Ft. Worth area. But again, this is my first rocket or shall I say little rocket...

Overall satisfactory would be around a 7 or 8 in my opinion out of 10 being best. The last two points would be if I had a lot more horse if you know what I mean. Everything else has been perfect.....

Bryan

Old 05-13-2008, 05:13 AM

ORIGINAL: mlnhead

I have had my 08 for 2 weeks and am really satisfied in general. I did get the bong in the bung at the dealer though, but I am over it now. $7700 out the door with full 5year coverage. Yeah I know I should have read closer, but when I asked the guy he said "costs nothing, sign the damn papers"...
Anyways I do get all the adjustments and oil changes free for 5 years so wooptie... The bike itself is a statement all its own. It gives very sporty styling and fools many of people with its performance and appearance. The dealer told me not to go above 7000rpm and if I did get it on the highway and run her any harder, "just don't hold her at the same RPM for very long at a time"... Seems to do very well in the 5 miles of interstate I have run this week. Very suprising is the fact that up many of good hills I don't even have to downshift from 6th, even if I am at 40mph at the bottom. I have been thinking about buying a 48tooth rear sprocket to lower the constant RPMs of interstate speeds... I am 250lbs so I am not the lightest chunk of lead riding on top of her. When cold you do have to let her warm up in the morninga bit or she flatspots through the gears, but after 5 minutes she is up and sparking...

HOLY KRAP! 7700$????? I have seen people pay 4k even 5k after all is said and done, but 7700$???
I dont believe it.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Geeesh..thats a lot of money for this bike! If mine would have cost that I would have left it at the dealership! I'm in Tennessee and I paid $4424.00 out the door! Yeah well good luck with ummm all that.. Anywho I have had my bike for about 3 weeks now and I love it!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 AM

Wow I must be one lucky guy! A buddy in my unit bought this bike but couldnt ride it cuz of the weather (stationed in Alaska) so it sat in a heated storage room for month or so, guy hurt his back and decided a rocket wouldnt be a good idea with his upcoming surgery. Sold it to me for $3150.00 and it had....*drum roll*.....2 miles on it! This is my first bike so I cant comment with any experience of other bikes, but so far its the coolest thing I've had since my Radio Flyer wagon and matching Tricycle.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

08 250R- Paid retail $3499 in Berkeley Springs, WV for a black one.I'm 31 years old about 145lbsand it's my first street bike (prior experience on dirt bikes as a kid) and I really like it.About 350 miles driven. I feel that I'll become a great rider on it and won't kill myself onthe 600 that I'll move up toin a few years. I haven't pushed it past 9k RPMs and probably only had it at 8k RPM's once. I'm trying to break it in slowly. It's been windy here lately (don't know the speed)and it's a little challenging but nothing different onany other bike probably as long as you stay low. It seems to handle great and the looks speak for themselves. The only down side is that I feel that at 70mph/7500RPM I wish there was another gear, butthere is a lot of throttle left! It justsounds like it needs to shift (to me anyways).Low end is pretty good, I haven't pushed it to the limits, but itmoves for what it is.Overall, it probably isn'tmuchdifferentfrom previous generations likeothers have stated. I'd give it a 9 out of 10! BTW, getting about 60MPG. Very good, but not the 70MPG like I read about.