Requesting input from all 08 250R owners!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Default Requesting input from all 08 250R owners!

Thanks for clicking!

I recently began riding an O'5 250R as a commuter and now I have my eye on the new 2008 model.

I'm asking all of those currently enjoying ownership what they think; good, bad or indifferent.

Also, if you would tell me where you bought yours and approx how much you paid so I can get an idea of what dealers are offering them for.

Thanks in advance for the help. Take care!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 AM
Default RE: Requesting input from all 08 250R owners!

I've been trying to find info about this bike and no one seems to say anything so they must suck. I have read all the reviews and they all say what a great little bike it is. Fine, I beleive it. It may be a great starter bike. But what about those of us who just want to get a commuter, don't give too much crap about it riders.

I am sure this bike is adequate for around town riding, but what about on the highway? How stable is it? Am I going to be blown around when a big rig passes me, how does it handle at higher speeds, or should I say highway speeds, and what about on windy days. I can just imagine being tossed around on this small bike but are the aeros that good to where it doesn't get tossed around.

I've seen videos of this bike, with different cans, see it riding around in the street, but what are some perfomance info. What does it compare too as far as acceleration? Need real world reviews from owners.

I gotta say though, these things are selling like hot cakes. Every dealer in a 2 hour radius are sold out. Only 1 dealer has 2 more coming and that's it until the 09s come out. Wondering if I should go and put a deposit down.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 AM

Ok so I got this the 08 Ninja as starter bike. I'm 18 years old and wanted something that looked sexy and wasn't powerful enough to kill myself. I decided not to really follow the break in process because it seemed a little too over sensative. Only reving up to 4k. That a max speed of 36 mph??! Couldnt be done. So today i took i out on the highway. As i was getting on the entrance ramp i was shocked at how well it actually accelerates when you rev it up past the mid range. Before i realized it was going 90mph. The wind wasnt too bad. I wasnt knocked around at all. I wanted to do a little bit of weaving but my tires are so new they arent even worn in enough to have good traction. So i will review on that later. But overall i have to say it performs well on the highway. Accelerating up to highway speed is not a problem. It is trying to accelerate once you are already cruzing at 80 mph that is a problem. This bike is weak at its high speed but pretty darn fast at low city traffic speeds.

The only problem with this bike is the problem i have with its idle speed. This is always jumping all over the place. And at now revs it is very very weak!. So if you plan on following the break in recomendations then you are gunna get a lot of PISSED off drivers behind you. Just get a frickin warrenty and rev the **** out of this bike. And enjoy it. =)

Again i will review more later. My tires still need to be broken in to have mroe traction.

But hopefully this answers your question about highway capability.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Ninjabutter

I've been trying to find info about this bike and no one seems to say anything so they must suck.
you clearly need to learn how to search for info better...

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.c...eview-part-1-4

There's a link to a 4 page review from a guy on kawiforums...i forgot the link but all i did was google "250r review" and it was the first option

Also i don't understand what you mean when you say you don't give a crap about how it rides, but you want some performance info to see how it rides on the street? If you look around there are real world reviews from tons of owners and everyone is loving them and if you just want it as a commuter, i don't think you can beat 50-70mpg

Old 04-21-2008, 04:03 AM

I meant a bike that I would not care too much about leaving sitting in a parking lot. A bike that I would have just to commute. I am a liter bike rider and love the acceleration and overall perfomance. But again I would just use this bike as a commuter to and fro work.

Half my commute is on the highway. I usually do 75mph to 80mph but sometimes when its light traffic and I get a good feeling that there are no cops around I am doin 85mph - 90mph. When a big semi is coming the other way I can feel the wind blast but it doesn't effect me too much. Some days when its windy it can feel like the bike is going to slip out from under. Or if I am passing a big truck.

I have read all the reviews, these guys that review these bikes are professionals or experienced riders. More experienced than me. I wanted some real world assesment from owners with a different perspective.

Thanks forthe honest assesment about the highway speed. I am guessing that I would be better off to stay in my lane rather than try and pass someone. Or I guess you would have to downshift several gears.

Not that that would be my issue. My main concern for highway use with this motorcycle was it's stability since its so small in displacement and light weight. I don't want to get a surprise uneasyfeeling when a big rig is near.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Well the 250 has been out for over 20 years and there isn't much of a difference with the 08 and previous models besides the obvious body changes and small decrease in torque for better low/mid range

So i guess what i'm saying is, after 20 years of a ex250 in general being one of "the best beginner motorcycles", I don't think i've seen anyone have any problems with them being completely streetable as a commuter bike and have not heard of problems on the highways either. I've read many posts about people with bigger bikes like you, who bought a 250 to commute with. Maybe the reason for less reviews from "owners with less experience" is because the majority of owners of the 08 250s are in fact, less experienced and and would not be able to give a good review to compare it to bigger, heavier bikes.

I understand what you're getting at though, but I've never heard someone complain (on any 250 model) that they felt unsafe on a highway. Unfortunately, the top speed is only 105 so if you plan on cruising for a long time at above 80 and a big rig is tailing you, then i can see where that could be a problem. Otherwise if you're just using it to commute and not go on long highway rides then I'm sure it'd be perfectly fine.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I have to say that my 94 250 is a little un-nerving on the highway. It's got new tires and the suspension is in good shape, so I can only attribute its behavior to its light weight. My Yamaha 750 was barely affected by crosswinds and turbulence from cars, but the Ninja seems quite vulnerable to both. Naturally the key is to not panic and over-compensate. To the bike's credit, it has excellent balance and seems to almost correct itself, but I can't say I enjoy driving on the highway while leaning into a crosswind. I'd say that if your bike is going to be doing much highway duty, something heavier and more powerful might be a better option. While the 250 is willing to go 70mph, it's working pretty hard to do so. Iopt forsecondary roads wheneveravailable....this bike is better suited for city driving.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 PM

My 2008 Ninja 2005Ris great benefit bike, because Ialways broke at gas pump for fill up my truck $64-$66 and I'm on SSDI and part time job.My gas-saver Ninja 250R save my money for foods for me and my one kid. God bless Ninja 250R.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 PM
cls
1st Gear Member

I had 3 of the first gen. 250's. I've had a bunch of bikes, all sizes and styles over the last 25 years. I love the 250. It's a bit of an aquired taste, though. The new bike is much sportier and focused feelingthan the older model: firmer suspension, mostly. I think it is a much improved bike. Everything feels very smooth, crisp, and clean (Clutch, tranny, engine, etc.).

The bike is turning right at 7K rpm's for 60 mph. You get a difference of about 8 mph per 1K rpm, up or down the scale (52mph/6K, 68 mph/8K, etc.). It is busy at highway speed, but more than capable. I like the light feeling enough to make it more than worthwhile on the highway. It is not a matter of stability, as much as subjective opinion. It's not going to get blown over, but it may not be to your tastes.

The bike pulls fine to be useable at any street-legal speed, and then some. Whether, or not, you find it tolerable/desireable is another matter. Only so much can be answered w/o actually riding the bike. Everyone is different.

I just put on my Area P No Limits exhaust on Saturday. I'm very pleased w/the bike. Having said that, no bike is perfect. Certainly not a $3500 one.

BTW, I got mine for $3700 OTD. I buy a lot of bikes and get good deals from my dealers. this one is a keeper.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I didn't buy my '08 Ninja 250R for a commuter bike....I'm retired. Ibought it because of the new look and changes to the tire size and other upgrades from the older EX250's...and the price. I paid $4,026 OTD for my Green one, no financing and reasonable insurance. I don't have any fear of riding mine on the interstate or anywhere else. This one's a keeper for me even if I decide to buy a Mean Streak or some other cruiser bike in the future. I'll be 52 years old in June, so I don't think I'll be getting another litre sportbike. [:@]

Quick Reply: Requesting input from all 08 250R owners!