Ran out of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Default Ran out of fuel

I was on my way home from college lastnight, and it was raining lightly. The bike started to sputter and not run right, I didn't know what was wrong. Soon after it completely died out. I pulled over and tried to start it with no luck. I checked the fuel line (I have clear ones) and sure enough im out of gas. I had the tank on reserve the whole time, so I had no reserve. What luck. I had my dad come and get me with the pickup truck.

Cliff notes: ran out of gas, tank was already running on reserve, got stuck in the rain.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ran out of fuel

Haha... Don't feel too bad. I've done it several times.[] I always forget to turn the valve back to the "on" posistion after filling up. Lately, I just fill up at about 200 miles. That way I won't have to switch to reserve and forget about it later on.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 PM

I turn my fuel OFF/ON every time I get off/on the bike, which helps me avoid this.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

that suxs dude.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:46 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, good mental notes 1low. You will figure what works for you. I hate pushing a ride in the rain!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:06 AM

This happened to me tonight for the first time. I was riding along a high speed road miles away from civilization or even street lights, with cars going 60 or 70. Suddenly the bike started sputtering and the revs kept falling.. so I pulled over into the very narrow shoulder and switch the bike to reserve. It wouldn't start up. After trying to start it for a while, I turn on the choke and it springs to life, idling away at 6K rpms. I turn off the choke, immediately put it in 1st and ride away. Everything's going hunky dory until about 30 seconds later, the bike dies again. This time I'm scared cuz I don't know what's wrong with it and the shoulder is even narrower. Cars are zooming past at 60 or 70 just a few feet away. I'm trying to start the bike up without success and then it dawns on me -- I switched it to the "OFF" position... [&:]

Long story short, even though I read the manual thoroughly and carefully, and I practiced switching to reserve while riding, because of the circumstances (my first time on that road, lots of high speed traffic), I panicked and didn't think things through. Just remember stay calm and don't panic...

Old 10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

That's funny. I remember the first time I ran out of gas in the Eliminator. I was madder than hell. I was yelling and cussin' because I had a brand new bike with 200 miles on it, and it just died. I felt like a wet a$$hole when I realized what happened. It happens to all of us at one time or another. It's no big deal.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:16 AM

You guys scare me posting this. Im worrying about doing this, and I panic very easy.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Skeets

You guys scare me posting this. Im worrying about doing this, and I panic very easy.
Practice practice practice. I switched to reserve my first time going up a hill. I had a hard time remembering which way toturn it.I thought I might have to write an F on the bike so I could remember Forward means go forwardor reserve.

I used to turn off my fuel at work, I worked with a MSF instructor and parked in the warehouse. It never failed I would start into the turn off the light and it would sputter because it ran out of the tiny bit of fuel in the bowls.

If you still arent comfortable just make sure you fill up every 150 miles then you dont have to worry so much, but you still should practice.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 PM

Instead of doing this can I just fill up the tank so it doesnt have to go on reserve? Like all the time, so it doesn;t get low? I hate fooling around with engine stuff and gas, If a car is on "E" I refuse to drive it :P

Quick Reply: Ran out of fuel