Question about startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Default Question about startup

I have a 07 250R that i havent started up for a good 4 months. I tried starting it last night and it just wouldnt start without the choke. So i turned the choke on and warmed it up for a good 20 minutes and it still stalls when i ease off the choke. I asked around and people told me that my gas is bad and I should run off the existing gas with the choke on and refill it with brand new gas. Is this a good idea?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Question about startup

Closing the choke to fast makes my engine die sometimes. But as long as your not hearing any pinging the gas is problably all right. Try taking the choke off slowly and see how it does.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 PM

I hear little clicks which I think is what you referred to as pinging? I do take the choke off really slow...

Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

clicks are problably the valve train noise.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Can you ride it, and after getting up to speed, take off the choke while still moving? If so, then ride it a while to make room for some fresh gas. I'd try that before trying to drain it all out. Or get one of those drain plungers from Chi-Mart and siphon off as much gas as you can, refilling it with fresh fuel.
Some clicking is normal until it is warm.

scootertrog

Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 PM

The last time I tried to ride it with the choke on I stalled on the freeway late at night haha. But ill try to ride it around my neighborhood today and try to get rid of the bad gas....I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback

Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 PM

One more question. Is it ok the ride the bike with the choke on? Lets say for 20 or less minutes.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

not great to do that but it wont hurt it. Also did you buy the bike new? And did you have the 500 mile service? Valves might be out of adjustment.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sat for 4 months...ya, the gas is toast. Drain the gas, then refill with some good quality petro and go from there.

Personally, I wouldn't ride with the choke on that much. You are gonna be dumping too much fuel, possibility of washing out your rings, premature spark plug failure, etc....

Next time that you know the bike is gonna sit, put some sta-bil in her.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 PM

I just called my dealer and asked them what was wrong with my bike, I told him that it was sitting in the garage for a good 2 months and hadnt been started up. He told me I need to clean the carbs or something.What i wanted to know is how hard it is to clean the carbs and what is needed to clean it. I would like to do it myself since he quoted me $200 to fix this. Anyone have any tips?

Im gonna try the gas thing first but if that fails then this is the second option

Quick Reply: Question about startup