OMG! Chains and Sprokets

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Default OMG! Chains and Sprokets

So im driving to work this morning and Im getting this slight bucking sensation. Wasn't worried cause I thought it may just be cold engine. Well, i got here, and had my smoke and went in the office. At lunch I warmed her up and took a nice ride, but the bucking was still there. Now, its 65 F out and its full of high test. yes, gas is on, but what is with the wierd feeling? I gt back, check the front tire presure and then went to the rear. thats when I noticed the teeth of the rear sprocket are really cut up, and the chain is slack, again. I tightened the chain few weeks back. I have a brand new set of sprockets front and rear at home with the rear damper too. Should I atempt to change myslef, and is this the reason for the bucking?

I-70 was not fun this morning like that.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Default RE: OMG! Chains and Sprokets

What kind of mileage you had on that chain and sprocket combo?

Are you adjusting the chain to manufacturer specs? are you adjusting on the tight spot of the chain? I lube my chain every other gas tank. What is your schedule? You should have no problem putting it together yourself. Does the chain have the clip type master link or a rivet type? the rivet type requires a special tool to mushroom the pin... Clip no problem. if you have to cut the chain measure twice cut once..

Good luck

Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM

looking at a 22k+ mileage, and lube of maybe every other gas tank fill. Which is atleast a 7-10 day thing. new chain is an easy clipper that I have, and have changed those before on other bikes, but the rear sprocket was my main concern. I have to dig out my manual and other books, but looks pretty simple to change out. If I an do brakes, i can do anything!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 AM

The rear sprocket should be no problem. Six nuts and it's off. I like to look at the sprocket (old ) and (new) before I take it of. Meaning i have had people bring me the wrong sprockets to mount. Also and I don't think our bike fits in this category, the sprockets are not symetrical. Meaning they have an offset to one side. so look to see before youtake the old one off and put it on as it comes off. I use medium loctite and torque to spec.

Take some time and apply some lube to the thrushaft bolt and stick your finger in the bearings and spin them. they should be smooth with no rough spots.

Looks like you gonna be riding in no time.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Sounds good, will start doing this on Friday, weather permitting. Damn I need a garage.

Seems the sprockets match, from eyeing them up and some rudimentary measurements. Just didn't think it was that easy. shoot, might just get a new tire while im at it.