New Rider - Shifting Question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Lugging is kinda like bogging, only slightly different. When you load the engine to point where the throttle is basically non-responsive to adding more throttle.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dundee85
Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies. Although it's a 2007, it's been well broken in with 11,200 miles on the odometer. The first guy who owned it used it as his sole means of transport so this bike's been well ridden!

Upshifting based on the tach and the feel of the bike makes a lot more sense than upshifting based on speed. Thank you for that clarification.

I'm trying to work on rev matching while downshifting. It's a bit tricky because it's against my instict to brake and rev the engine at the same time! I suppose it just takes time.

Thanks again!!
Don't bother rev matching on downshifts. It's a small high revving engine. Slowing to a stop, just haul the clutch in. Keep it in and downshift as you slow so that you've always got a gear selected that matches your road speed, so that if you need to accelerate you've already got the right gear. Using the engine to brake (other than just easing speed at little) compromises control and exaggerates wear on the chain and sprockets. Brake pads are cheaper and easier to replace.

****ing down to get extra acceleration, just shift and pin the throttle as you let the clutch go.

If you're new to bikes, you probably know that most braking is done on the front brake, because of the weight transfer effect, but you may not know that that effect diminishes as you slow, so that by walkiing speed there's more grip from the rear tyre than from the front. That's where you should start to ease off the front brake and come to a stop on the rear to eliminate the small risk of a front wheel lock up - especially on on a poor or wet surface. If you lock the rear wheel you should be able to control it. If you lock the front you'll probably fall off.

Rob

btw - the asterisks are on the word 'shifting'. Did I miss an 'f'? lol