New 250 owner. Got a few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM
CC
Default New 250 owner. Got a few ?s

Just got a new 07 250 last week. Its my first street bike and have 80ish miles on it so far. I start the MSF class tonight and should be able to get my license on monday. Anyway in the few miles I put on the bike I got a few questions and I hope someone here can help.

1) Mirrors. I cant adjust the mirrors to see behind me very well. All I see is my body and Im not that big of a guy. There have been a time or two I had no clue a car was behind me when I first got the bike so now I find myself twisting a bit to see behind. Is there a good aftermarket mirror that would stick out another inch or two?

2) Choke. When the bike is cold after sitting for the night its starts right up just fine. It does not want to start or run with the choke on. Im not sure if this is a problem or not but I thought I would ask. Even half choke is not as good as none. Just want to know before winter hits in a few months.

3) Power. Keeping it below 4K for the break in went out the door real quick. Cant keep up with the other cars that way and I cant go up a hill at 4K either. So I have been going up to 6K when needed and putting around at 4K when I can. Even 6K is a bit weak so are there anymods that help low end power on this thing? I would not mod it until it has broken in well.

4) Clutch. I started the bike the other day and let it warm up for 2-3 minutes while I was gearing up. I backed it out and put it in first gear. It jumped forward and died. I looked at my left hand and the clutch was all the way in. So I pumped the clutch several times and it worked fine after. Anyone got a guess? The worse part was there were 3 guys standing outside my house watching me noob it up [&o]

Thanks for any help guys(and gals).

Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New 250 owner. Got a few ?s

Well I can't help you on the questions, I mean if it was a bike like this then I would be able to help, but I guess all I can say here is welcome to the site.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Ain't it pretty though? [8D]

Old 08-09-2007, 04:56 PM
CC

Ya real nice. I was looking at some dual sports but went with the ninja. Those bikes were just to tall for me to want to learn to street ride on. I cant flat foot my dirt bike but the ninja is so low. Once I get better at riding that KLX would be nice to have here in CO.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, CC. I'll try and answer some of your questions the best I can.

1) The mirrors on the 250's suck. Plain and simple. You will always be looking at your shoulders and arms while riding with them. Do as I, and others have; install the Yamaha R6 mirrors. They are a pain in the *** to mount properly, but they not only look WAY nicer than the original mirrors, but they also come out a little further than the stock mirrors.

2) The choke on the 250R is a little twitchy. I used to make the mistake of giving it throttle while trying to start it, but this will only flood the engine. Engaging the choke half way doesn't work that well either. You shouldn't need to choke the 250 unless the temps are below 70 F. If you start it without the choke during the hotter days, just give it a few good revs right after startup. This always helps my bike idle better when I start it using no choke.When you do choke it, either go all the way, or 3/4 the way. (and don't roll on the throttle while starting) Once it is running, un-choke it as soon as you can without the engine stalling. During the summer, if you choke it, only do so for about 20-30 seconds. The colder days, you may need to choke it for a minute or two.

3) Your question on #3 will have different answers from different people. This is only my opinion. Take it easy on your bike for the first 30-40 miles. After that, you NEED to get the revs up every once in a while to help seat the piston rings. That doesn't mean race the engine, or redline it all over the place, but you have to get the revs up between 6-8k for short periods in the lower gears. This will greatly help your engine consume less oil, and have better compression later on in it's life. Change the factory oil after 100 miles. Break-in oil gets a lot of fine metal shavings in it during the first few miles of it's life. After 200-300 miles, occasionally take the engine up near it's redline, but like I said before, only for short periods. (As if you're passing somebody on the highway.) Change the oil again at the 600 mile service.

4) It is normal for the bike to lurch foward when putting it into first just after starting it. Once the oil starts warming up, and circulates, the clutch will operate more smoothly. Holding in the clutch for about 10-20 seconds before popping it into gear will help out.

Name:  DSC03133.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  DSC03134.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  136.1 KB

Name:  DSC03136-1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  125.3 KB

Old 08-09-2007, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

lol. I should have known deej would strike!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

good post panda bear I think you pretty much covered it

Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM
CC

Great post Mark. Thanks. I will look into those R6 mirrors for sure this weekend. You are right they do look real nice. I would guess they would need to be ordered direct from Yamaha?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Nah, don't buy factory mirrors. That will cost you big bucks. eBay has a bunch of them for sale. The ones on my bike are made by Emgo. Emgo makes a lot of factory replacement motorcycle mirrors. They are well made, and a fraction of the OEM cost.

Here is a current eBay auction: R6 mirrors

Old 08-09-2007, 06:23 PM
CC

Wow thats cheap. I was thinking they were going to be 100-150$. I might get them when I get home. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: New 250 owner. Got a few ?s