My Ninja won't start. =[

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Default My Ninja won't start. =[

I dropped my ninja on it's side and now it wont start. I have a 2005 Ninja 250R, Silver, with 800 miles.

What I've tried:
Starting it with 0-25-50-75-100% choke.
Starting it while giving it a little throttle.
Starting it on a warm day.

Is there anything I can do? Can I really ruin my bike by dropping it?

Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My Ninja won't start. =[

So you dropped it, and now it won't start?

1. don't give it throttle while trying to start it. (The can flood the engine.)
2. If it's warm, there is no need to choke it.

I have a feeling that it's a little flooded. Make sure the kill switch isn't engaged, and just keep cranking it over for about ten-fifteen seconds at a time. Let the starter cool off for a minute or two and repeat. When my "friend[:'(]" dropped my 250R, it wouldn't start either. I had to crank it over and over before it started. Just don't crank on it so long the starter burns up.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 AM

I just went out and started it again. It's pretty cold out, so I turned the choke on for a little bit. I cranked it, with the killswitch off. No go. =\ I tried for maybe 5 minutes, with about 20-30s in between each tries. I didn't put any throttle on while starting the engine.

Also, when I dropped the bike, I smelled gasoline. My bike spilled gas? Maybe a fuel line got bursted/cut?

Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

your float bowls are empty probably, takes a bit of cranking to get them full again, check your fuel line to make sure its not kinked, try it on reserve, then check spark, pull a plug wire and put a allen wrench or something inside the boot and while cranking hold next to the engine case and you should see spark jumping.......engine needs 3 things, fuel, air and spak, eliminate the easy things first (air filter)

Old 08-13-2007, 08:02 PM

Is there a quick guide on how to do this, and whereto locate all these things? I knowclose to nothing about the bike. =[

Also, because I cranked the starter so many times, I think the battery died. Can I jumpstart the bike like a car? Or do I need to buy a new battery.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sounds like the vehical down sensor to me.located by the kick stand. it's job is to shut it down when it falls over.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:42 PM

you can jumpstart your bike but if you use a car make shure that the car is off

Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 AM

Well I tried to jumpstart my bike. The bike would start, and run for 2 seconds before it dies. It would go from 0-9K RPM and then drop to zero and dies. What's going on?

Kill switch was off. Tank was on reserve. Car engine is off. Bike was on neutral.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 AM

2 things happen usually when you drop your bike. You either flood it or jam the floats up and then run all the gas out of the carbs trying to start it. I havent done this to my bike yet so Im just passing on info from others hopefully I can give you some clues. I have flooded the engine though.

At this point your best bet is to open the drains on the bottom of the float bowls (allen screws) and see if any gas comes out. I think a bowl holds 2 tablespoons at least. If theyre dry then you know your floats are jammed up. Sometimes you can take a rubber mallet and rap them side and bottom, theyll comeback down if your lucky, if not you have to take the carbs off and get them back into place. I know some that have rolled the bike off the curb and unstuck the floats that way, the jar knocks them loose. You can usually do this without taking them apart, you can hear them jiggle when theyre loose. Dont be too aggressive on them you dont want to knock the springs out of whack.

If its flooded your supposed to WOT while starting. This allows max air into the carbs and it should start. Choke only makes it worse.

Some other thoughts the bike ignition was on right? You typed off but it should be on.

Put some gas in the bike, they look like they have enough when they dont. Trust me.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:43 AM

I've try the bike with choke completely off. The ignition was on, and the tank is full (visually checked it). I'm not sure how to take the carbs off, but I'll google on how to do it.

About draining the engine. Where is the float bowl located? What does it look like? Can you take a picture of it for me? It's frustrating taht my bike wont start. I bought this bike for a week now, but I've only got to ride it once. =[

Quick Reply: My Ninja won't start. =[