Minor Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Default Minor Problem...

So I recently bought a 1995 Kawasaki Ninja 250 with 13,000 miles on it. It seems to be running great, until yesturday. I rode almost the entire day and on my way home it started acting up. I would be driving and all of a sudden I would go to twist my throttle to accelerate and it would "bog out" and quickly decelerate and RPMS would drop and it would soon stall. Then it would not start back up until I let it sit for a while... Anyways, I was 4 miles from home so I would push it and occasionally try to restart it back up and when it would start I would ride it until it killed out again. I am thinking it is overheating as that is the only reason I could come up with why after I let it sit it starts back up? Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be great! You can repost here or I actually perfer you email me at tomfohr@charter.net

Old 05-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Minor Problem...

Welcome to the forums!!

As soon as it dies, you might check for spark. Make sure your coils and etc or not overheating and shutting down..If the bike was overheating, you would know it, steam, boiling water, etc...

YOu might also check your fuel lines. Make sure you don't have any restriction at all.. All it takes is a small piece of debris. Some carb cleaner might help out there. Some you can pour into the tank..

First thing I would try tho, is drive her till she quits and check spark.. if you have spark, maybe try spraying some starting fluid, just a little, and see if she tries to start.. That should narrow down the prob a little bit... GL ...

Old 05-10-2006, 04:48 AM

How would I go from riding it and then check the spark?

Old 05-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

When you're riding and the bike dies, pull a plug wire off on the plug side.. put a screwdriver in it, etc, some kind of small piece of metal like that... then hold the metal part of the screwdriver about 1/4 " from the frame or something metal... then kick the bike over and watch for a spark too jump from the screwdriver to the frame.. If no spark, then you have an electronic problem.. coil, etc..

They actually make a spark tester just for that purpose if you're not comfotable using a screwdriver.. Should be able to get one at any parts store for about $30.. the tool plugs into the spark plug wire, and the other end of it clips onto the frame...

Just be careful when you are holding the screwdriver that you don't touch the metal part of it, when you are cranking her over...ZZZAAAAPPPP !!! It's not gonna hurt ya, but it's going to hurt!! It's a real easy test.. try it on your car or lawnmower first to get the hang of it...

Old 05-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Check out this link... $12 for a spark tester...

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p222591...ver?sourceid=3

Old 05-10-2006, 07:02 AM

Reminds me of the time my big bro told me to put my tongue on a 9 volt battery. [sm=badidea.gif]

Spark tester for the win!

ORIGINAL: BigRig18Wheeler

When you're riding and the bike dies, pull a plug wire off on the plug side.. put a screwdriver in it, etc, some kind of small piece of metal like that... then hold the metal part of the screwdriver about 1/4 " from the frame or something metal... then kick the bike over and watch for a spark too jump from the screwdriver to the frame.. If no spark, then you have an electronic problem.. coil, etc..

They actually make a spark tester just for that purpose if you're not comfotable using a screwdriver.. Should be able to get one at any parts store for about $30.. the tool plugs into the spark plug wire, and the other end of it clips onto the frame...

Just be careful when you are holding the screwdriver that you don't touch the metal part of it, when you are cranking her over...ZZZAAAAPPPP !!! It's not gonna hurt ya, but it's going to hurt!! It's a real easy test.. try it on your car or lawnmower first to get the hang of it...

Old 05-10-2006, 07:25 AM
1st Gear Member

do you have gas?

Old 05-10-2006, 07:49 AM

Lol yes I have gas. I am gonna fill it back up with some premium and some carb cleaner and see if that does the trick... If it doesnt work...then I'll test the spark.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:35 AM

Okay I might have gotten to the bottom of the problem...someone please tell me if this sounds right. I noticed it only dies when decelerating or downshifting to come to a stop. Then I took it back to my house and used my jump starter box. And it started right back up. I am thinking my battery is bad and the reason it's dying is because while decelerating it doesnt have enough power? Does this sound logical to anyone? I drove it back and forth down my road til it died, and when it died and I tried to start it and it wouldnt start. I took it to my house and hooked up the jump starter and it started right up. So does anyone agree that my explaination sounds right... I need a new battery?

Old 05-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sounds very logical to me!! Check your voltage and amperage on battery and alternator.... If you don't have a volt meter, it will cost about the same for a battery or a volt meter, so might as well buy the battery!! Let us know man!

Quick Reply: Minor Problem...