markmeinteil or anyone w/ tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default markmeinteil or anyone w/ tail lights

Marky Mark!

I've read through your tail light customization and had a few questions.

1. I've been having trouble keeping the bulb in position on the right side of the tail light. When I sit it correctly (to where low light is always on but high light is activated by breaking) it jars out of place when I hit the slightest bump. I was curious if the clear tail light setup you purchased includes the fitting for the actual bulb or if you use the factory fitting. Also, is there a model number of a bulp size that fits that I could verify that I don't have too small a bulb (bulb is from previous owner)? Right now the bulb is fitted more snug by bending out the metal parts in the fitting but it must have been jarred again because the daylight lighting is fine but when applying break it doesn't light up more.

2. What was the cost and where did you get the clear tail light assembly shown in your updated visual overhaul pictures?

3. Uh...the gf called and now I can't remember what else I wanted to know.

Danke!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: markmeinteil or anyone w/ tail lights

The clear alternatives lens kit was somewhere around $75, and came with the two side pod sockets, the turn signal bulbs, and of course the three clear lenses. The center brake/running light bulb socket on my 250R is factory original, and the bulb fits good and secure for me. The center brake light uses the 1157, 2057, 1034, 2357, and 2397 bulbs. All of these should have the same socket size. The only difference is in the wattage. If one of these bulbs are in your center tail light socket, and comes loose a lot, replace the socket. (And if I remember the setup correctly, that means replacing the whole tail light housing assembly.)

Hope that helps you out.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Looking back at this picture, the center socket probably does come out. Hopefully it isn't pressed into place, or else it may be a PITA to get out.

Name:  DSC02382-1.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  54.3 KB

Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

The issue I was having was actually with the right side bulb socket, not the center but you answered my question anyway w/ replacing the socket but I think I'll just leave it as is for now. Thx Mark.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you tried using some silicone, i had some high temp silicone laying around and when i added extra light sockets to my taillight once it dried it kept the lights in place

Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know the first thing about silicone or how to use it in this situation but I think I have it placed just right now and hasen't shifted due to bumps yet so problem might be fixed. thx for the suggestion though talca

Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

what did everyone else do for sockets on the signals? use the ones from the pods or source sockets from somewhere else?

Old 08-11-2007, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

The previous owners must have installed two bulbs in the "empty" tail light assembly, which Ithought was stock. I'm not sure what they used or how they knew what would fit. I wired the bulbs that are in my bike to work as follows; with the bike just running they aren't lit (only center bulb is lit), while brakingthe side two bulbs light andcenter bulb gets brighter, and the turn signalis the brightest setting which flashes the left or right bulb.

As soon as I can afford it, I'll order the brighter led light radiantz or whatever it was called that mark suggested.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

The clear alternatives lens kit comes with the pod sockets. Otherwise, if you want to eliminate the old stem style turn signals, go to Autozone or some other local parts store and buy an 1156 or 1157 bulb push in socket. I did this before receiving my lens kit, and the ones sold at Autozone seemed to be the best quality.