Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: lookin at a 250R

ORIGINAL: JoHo22

thats a steal,
but its almost 5 hours away...
but i might not have mentioned this...
this is the first motorcycle i will have ever have rode.
so were not looking for the fastest thing ever here...

I wouldn't lead you astray, you should get what you are comfy with, zzr was my first streetbike, 2005 so its the same model and everything. The zzr is the 2001 zx6r, carburated (smoother, more forgiving throttle), but when you are comfortable there are many performance parts available. I'm just suggesting because it worked for me. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 PM

no, i like getting info and perspectives...
basically everyone is telling me the 250 is too small,
aside from my officemate.

if i get the 250, i guess id trade it in after i felt i wanted to move up...
but maybe i wont,... who knows...

Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: zzrick

Check this one out
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/0/84263530.htm
it might be near you, I'm not sure, just saw it and it looked good, warranty and gear too!
Just trying to keep you off of a suzuki...
Im pretty sure this is a typo or something fishy. Too good to be true Id sell the kat in a heartbeat and pick it up if I thought it was possible.

As far as the 250 not being much fun, they have either never rode one, they are horrible riders or theyre squids that want to do wheelies at the flick of the wrist.

The 250 does 0-60 in 5 sec, goes up to 100-105 mph. And is a freakin blast to wring its neck and it likes it. The Katana is a ticket waiting to happen your going 75 in a 35 before you can even have any fun. The 250 handles corners better than just about any bike out there.

And the older kat wont be much fun if you have to wrench on it all the time. Make sure you have a bike mechanic look at it.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I didnt say it wouldnt be fun, not sure if you were addressing me in that post though. Dude you will have fun on any two wheels that are reliable, quick, and comfortable. Like I said before, only you can determine what is right for you. If your coworkers are tools who buy gsxr 1000's and just ride around town on them so everyone can see them on a big bike they might not be looking for the same things that you are in a bike. I personnally think that a 250 would be good for cruising around town, but I like the backroads, twisties, and high rates of speed. My next bike will be a zx10r probably, and the 600 has been a good starter bike for me.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:51 AM

zzrick- looks like you fall in the class of never having spent any time on a 250. They kick butt in the twisties. There are people that keep a 250 just for the twisties, its very flickable. You can also pull off some long trips on them as well.

I do agree that people should get what they feel comfortable with, not what others talk them into. You are riding a bike not an extension of your manhood. The goal is to ride within your experience and get something you can handle when you do something stupid, and you will.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:47 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The goal is to ride within your experience and get something you can handle when you do something stupid, and you will.
hahaha, Stupid? ok, I play that part as well. Granted I have only the 7 and the 10 to play with, the 250 is something that I would like to try myself. After suspension and other setup options if available. I think the 250 as a fun ride that would be good on corners once set up.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:39 PM

ive made up my mind,
my buddy has blown me off for the last time,
im gonna go take a look at the 250 in tonawanda,
if it is in immaculate condition as it appears, ill offer 2400,
take a loan out, send em the loot, and have the old guy from work ride it home for me for 10$.
and ill teach myself.
then take that MSF class everyone has raved about.

any key pointers on what i really should look at on this bike?
("hey, is that chain supposed to be broken, and were is the back wheel?")

Old 07-21-2007, 05:02 PM

You really need to take someone with you that knows bikes. Post in the general forum here and see if you cant get someone to go with you. Personally I will never ride a new to me bike far without being able to give it a good once over. You never know what stupid things they could have done to the bike and you dont want to put someone elses life at risk either. Im sure the old man has family.

Also if they have sat at all the carbs get yucky and the bike runs like crap.

Learn how to check the oil (Ive posted about this) if itsreally low dont buy it. They dont do well low on oil. Ask them how they check the oil if they dont know or dont do it right I would have second thoughts.

Your initial offer is too high start at $2000 and go up. Also leave yourself $100 open and trailer it home.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

look for:
oil level,
clean oil,
no rust on chain
no cracks on the tires (dry rot)
watch out for grooves in the brake rotors that can indicate that they used the pads down to the metal.
start it, idle it
gas it and make sure it doesn't sputter and choke on the way up when you gas it. (don't over rev it)

its new enough that most of those won't even be possible

Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM

well i ended up getting some riding time this weekend,
it wasnt as easy as it had looked.
my friend has already taken the msf course.
so what we are doing, he is pretty much going step by step what they taught him,
and he is passing it on to me.

so far i got myself aquainted with the shifting patterns,
braking propperly and how to balance the bike.
im starting to see that the balance of the bike is the biggest part of riding,
and i think i understimated that when i joined this forum,
kinda figured in 20 mins id be up and then start learning.
im glad were taking the slow approach, id rather be alive and look goofy
staying in first gear, than being yanked from under a semi.

Quick Reply: lookin at a 250R