lookin at a 250R

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: lookin at a 250R

They don't depreciate very much at all. And yes I have ridden 1600miles in only a couple months of ownership, and the 250 is starting to feel slow. But I got the bike to have fun and save on some gas money. 76mpg to 27mpg is a big difference. And it's totally different from a manual transmission car,but atleast you know how a clutch works which always helps.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

i got my 250 a year ago, it was my very first bike, never ridin before.. i would say go ahead get the 250 so u can learn the clutch and all.. after a year im ready for a 500 or 600...

btw. when u guys bought your 250s did the dealer tell u guys anything like they will buy the bike back for full price when u want to trade it?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 PM

My advice is this...
Get a used 250. Like a 2000 or so. Spend your money on GOOD riding gear and get used to the bike. Then once you are used to the bike, comfortable, and experienced, then trade it in or sell it for something bigger. I choose to get a used 250 and spend my money on the gear. I have a HJC Snell rated helmet, Tourmaster Max Air leather jacket, full leather gauntlet gloves and Alpinstars boots. All I need is a pair of leather pants and I am all set of track days without buying any more gear.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: pfft84

i got my 250 a year ago, it was my very first bike, never ridin before.. i would say go ahead get the 250 so u can learn the clutch and all.. after a year im ready for a 500 or 600...

btw. when u guys bought your 250s did the dealer tell u guys anything like they will buy the bike back for full price when u want to trade it?
full price?
doesnt seem like a good way to make a profit...
bottom line with dealerships, they are a business.
they are not going to give the crap away... but itd be nice if they did :-)

Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 PM

It's a good investment for them if they can sell him a liter bike or even a 600. I think they would still come out ahead. You're right, it isn't a bad deal if you can get it. I wouldn't believe it if it wasn't in writing, though. I was told I would get a free helmet when I bought a bike once but when I went in to close the deal on the bike, the salesman wasn't there and I was told he didn't have the authority to make that deal.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: BurntOrange

It's a good investment for them if they can sell him a liter bike or even a 600. I think they would still come out ahead. You're right, it isn't a bad deal if you can get it. I wouldn't believe it if it wasn't in writing, though. I was told I would get a free helmet when I bought a bike once but when I went in to close the deal on the bike, the salesman wasn't there and I was told he didn't have the authority to make that deal.
wow thats weak,
but i think i woulda holded off to talk to the salesperson you had been talking to.
Ive worked in sales before, and if he could talk you out of thinking you could get the helmet for free,
thats the cost of the helmet into his commission.
say it was a $125 helmet, thats the easiest 125$ he ever made if you didnt give em crap about it.

get what im saying?

either way, im going to check out the financing options i have at my disposal to see what kind of rates i can get on this ride. hopefully my credit union isnt going to look at me like im crazy.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: JoHo22

ORIGINAL: BurntOrange

wow thats weak,
but i think i woulda holded off to talk to the salesperson you had been talking to.
Ive worked in sales before, and if he could talk you out of thinking you could get the helmet for free,
thats the cost of the helmet into his commission.
say it was a $125 helmet, thats the easiest 125$ he ever made if you didnt give em crap about it.

get what im saying?

either way, im going to check out the financing options i have at my disposal to see what kind of rates i can get on this ride. hopefully my credit union isnt going to look at me like im crazy.
I hear ya. Instead of arguing about it once I got the bikeI just decided I would take my business elsewhere.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:55 PM

i dont have the luxury of another dealer within an hours drive.
so i get one shot to get this right.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I still vote for a used one - can get a 2005 model for about 2K from the last guy that bought it as his starter bike. check craigs list. if i hadn't been able to find the right 600 I probably would have ended up with one of those.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM

id love to find one a little cheaper,
and used would be great,
but my options are,
the new 250R
my friends 89 600cc ninja
or his 2005 600cc.
so i dunno here. i was thinking as a starter, the best bet woulda been the 250cc,
but ill check craigslist in my area to see what i can come up with.'
good call.

Quick Reply: lookin at a 250R