i've got the leaky fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default i've got the leaky fuel tank

went outside to check on my bike and saw a small puddle, smelled like fuel, it was, i have one of the leaky fuel tanks that was recalled, but thing is mines a 2003, i only knew of 2004 and up, but maybe i didn't check my sources, i put some electrical tape on it and it's holding in. really weird, u can't even see the hole where the leak is.

anyways, what should i do?? contact my local dealership?

Old 05-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Default RE: i've got the leaky fuel tank

That would be the best bet. Did you buy it from them? and also, the leak itslef... is it a pinhole in the tank? or a bad line?
Weird, I had this dream my truck was dumpiing diesel last night.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

i bought it third hand from someone in town, and yeah it's a small pinhole leak, it's really pissing me off

Old 05-13-2007, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

just drained most of the fuel from the tank, isn't leaking any more, a small portion of fuel is still on the other side of the tank but the way it's leaning it ain't going to the hole, was leaking pretty good before though

but if anyone has suggestions about this i would really like to hear them, i'm kinda short on cash, just bought new tires because a nail got in one of them and since i'm a full time student i have NO time for a job right now to pay for a new tank. i left a voice mail at the dealership about the situation and to call me back tomorrow but i don't know how to approach this

can anyone please help me?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

maybe a little bit of JB weld over where they pin hole is? Other then that I dont have any ideas. Sorry man.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

well i'm not worried about the tank, i figure i can do something like that, but as far as going to the dealer and asking them for a new tank is going to be difficult

Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Can you show a pic of where the pin hole leaks are happening?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 PM

I don't havea manual in front of me at the moment, but the Kawasaki 500R oil filter is number 27 something -- just ask at your local bike dealer. The oil info is stamped on the bike somewhere on one of those hard to peel off stickers. I think the oil info is under the seat where the tool kit, if you have one, should be.

Good Luck.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

it's not the oil it's the fuel so i'm not sure what that would have to do with it

i took some pictures before i emptied the tank so i'll post those up later at some point cause i'm busy doing school work for the night, probably an all nighter, i could use my bike about now to relieve some stress

Old 05-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, just tack weld it with gas still in the tank. That will relieve you of stuff!

Quick Reply: i've got the leaky fuel tank