I am thinking of buying a brand new 08 250...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I am thinking of buying a brand new 08 250...

now your hitting a soft spot Unreal. ive been wanting a motard for a while don't tempt me. i test rode the ducati one 1100 something i forget, but it was a blast.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Unreal..... you have a biking problem. That is a nice collection.

scootertrog

Old 03-28-2008, 05:13 AM

You are absolutely right Unreal. the supermoto bikes are awesome. I just got the hypermotard and it is by far the most fun and best bike I have ever been on. I also love my new 250 but damn, I think my next bike is going to be another supermoto.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

There is 2 more bikes not in the photo, and a 2008 GSXR600 shows up today. Should be in the garage tonight, torn down and race prepped by Sunday.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:03 AM

Anyways, it's not really a question of whether or not the 250 is boring or not. It's a question of whether or not it's worth it to buy a brand new 08 250 over a used 500/600, considering it's my first bike. Like I outlined in the OP, I do not have the ideal setup for owning a bike (no garage, live in CT with harsh winter, etc). I'm sure someone will come in and say, 'Well, why not buy a used 250?'. Can't stand the look of them, sorry.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:57 PM

I am on the same page as you. I am really considering the 08 250R, but because I am a new rider, I think an old EX250 would be great choice. Why not buy a used one for ~~ 2,000 and just mod it? Do something new and make it look nice... nicer than the 250R.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wannabe250

It would be my first bike. I know, I know.. everyone says DO NOT buy new for your first bike. But I haven't found anything used in my area (northern CT) that fits my price range. Also, I am beginning a new job pretty soon, and won't have a lot of cash on hand at the start of the summer, which is why I was looking for new so that I could finance. The 250 is, of course, regarded as the best beginner sport bike. I'm not looking for anything crazy fast, just something fun that I can cruise around town with. Also, I imagine the new 250s will hold value quite well, and since I am planning to move out west in about two years (after completion of my master's degree) I figured if I got a 250 it would serve me well as a learning bike for two years and then I could get a decent return on it before heading out west (where I would hopefully upgrade to something like a 600 or 650 and enjoy the year-long riding seasons).

A concern I do have is that currently I live with my parents (I'm 21 still in school) in their condo, which does not have a garage. So the bike would be outside all of the time (covered, locked, chained). I imagine this can't be great for the bike's exterior even if it is covered whenever I'm not on it, but I have no experience as far as bikes go. I do have friends that ride that have garages that I would most likely be able to store the bike in for the winters. Failing that I could always buy one of those little storage units to house it when it starts to snow.

So, am I being an idiot, or is this a reasonably well-formulated thought process?
You are on the right track...If we had a few extra bucks we would get a couple of 250 just to tear up on...they are extremely fun to ride and if it goes down it is a pretty inexpensive bike...it has great handling capabilities and perfect for a beginner bike...could be the reason the MSF course provides those bikes for the course...the bike will do fine outside with a cover on it...that's how my bike was for a year in Germany and it rains there all the damn time...don't forget your gear and stay away from mesh...Nylon or leather if you can afford it...

Old 03-31-2008, 03:52 AM

I will most likely be wearing a mesh jacket. Right now I'm looking at Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0 jacket. I wanted the Cortech GX Air 2 but it's been taken out of their lineup. I know it's not as good as leather, but I am on a crazy budget, starting in the fall I'm going to be paying my own rent, insurance, and whatever isn't covered by loans for graduate school. Because of this, I'm actually leaning towards a used bike for $3k or less, but the 250 is still a consideration.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I like my 250. Good beginner bike, but I would never buy brand new.

What should you do? Buy a used, if you dump it, no biggie. Drive it around for a while, then buy a new one. Trade the old one in, sell it to someone yourself, or just keep it as an extra or practice bike for riding or maintenance.

After you buy a second, and this time new, bike, you're able to appreciate your ability to handle it and yourself as a rider.

I already dumped mine last year, and would've hated to spend that money and do that amount of damage to it. Only spent $1700 cash on it.

Here's my 250 after I bought it with 12k miles:

Did some trimming and some cleaning up on it, spent over $100 in parts, made it look fairly slick. Not breaking the mirrors would've looked better:

Definitely better than the old bricks on the sides. Had some $50 mirrors, but they were destroyed when I laid it down. Glad I bought used and kept the old stuff. Watch for gravel.

I wanna buy a 4-wheeler at some point. Probably get a different car first, but you can make plenty of $$$ with a bladed-fourwheeler during the long winter months here.

I also need some new tires, replace some parts that were damaged, maybe exhaust, and do some tuning to get it back to runing like new, and maybe some cheap upgrades.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 PM

Like I said, I just can't stand the look of the older 250's, whereas I LOVE the look of the new one. I want a sportbike that feels AND looks like a sportbike. It's just personal preference. Just like I would never buy a motard because I just don't like how they look. I guess I'm kind of picky.

I'm checking out a few used bikes around me now. Unfortunately I missed out on a guy that I know who sold his YZF600R, I talked to him about it the day after he sold it. Waiting for a guy to call me back about a 96 ZX-6R.

Quick Reply: I am thinking of buying a brand new 08 250...