How long are you keeping the 250?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'll hold off on getting something bigger until I have much more experience under my belt.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Me personally, i dont think i need anything more than the 250R. With a few performance mods i have hit 103 (indicated 115) and been able to hold that with no problems. My average mpg is 57-60 depending on how i ride. Also with how light these bikes are (about 275lbs with the fairings off) they are stupidly nimble and vary easy to pick up if you do something dumb. I guess im just simply content with this little guy. Now i just need a 250cc dual sporty bike to complement my 250cc road bike...

Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

In a previous thread I know that I stated that my 08 250 is the perfect bike for the street because it's quick and nimble and you can't get into too much trouble with it. But after about 4 months and 4K miles I don't have much of any fear of it anymore. That is why I feel that I should probably upgrade to a 600. I do know wringing the throttle while yawning can't be safe. I'm the type of guy I guess that needs to be reminded in loud way how dangerous it can be on a bike and the 250 is just wispering in my ear. IMO I don't think any of us can truly master any bike no matter how many years you've ridden or miles you've logged... too many variables and way too many roads we haven't even been on. Just to clarify, I'm talking about street. Track riding is totally different.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Btw
for sale
2008 ninja 250r 43xx mi
black
stock
comp werkes fender elim. Kit
showroom condition
$3500 obo
charles town wv

Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by URSIC
I bought the 250 since I needed to learn to ride and it's a great starter bike, but I've only had it a few months and I want something bigger. Is anyone else out there in the same boat and thinking about unloading the 250?
i know exactly what you mean.. i love the ninja 250 but after riding a 600 its llike damn, this ****s fast haha. And honestly, i feel more safe riding a 600 on the freeway with all the extra power..

Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

With 4 months and 4K miles you're very much a beginner with a lot still to learn. I'd keep the 250 for a while longer. Keep it over winter at least. You don't have any winter riding experience at all. In three or four years you'll see the wisdom of this. At the moment you don't have the experience to see it.

Rob

Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

lack of fear of your bike is not exactly a good reason to move up to the next bigger one.

for highway riding a 600 will be a big more stable, but for your own safety look closely at yourself for the reason you move. If you decide to move up for logical reasons then more power to ya, but if you decide to move up to keep up with your buddies, or to get the trill of speed then i would urge you to not as that mentality increases your risk of becoming a statistic.

There is a reason insurance rates drop dramaticly after your first year of riding. Its because the vast majority of bad accidents happen within the first year.

I would recommend you keep the 250 through the winter, if you still want to sell int he spring you will get more money for it then during the warm weather anyways.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oprac
And honestly, i feel more safe riding a 600 on the freeway with all the extra power..
This doesn't make sense to me. The 250 ninja has the same factory 0-60 time as my MR2 Turbo. And it's much faster than 90% of all the other cars on the road... So how, if you are already faster than 90% of the cars out there, are you safer if your faster than that last 10%? If they race you, you can make sure they dont side swipe you?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kohburn
I would recommend you keep the 250 through the winter, if you still want to sell int he spring you will get more money for it then during the warm weather anyways.
Dont tell them that...that's how I'm expecting to get my 250...wait until prices are down in the winter.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by williamr
With 4 months and 4K miles you're very much a beginner with a lot still to learn. I'd keep the 250 for a while longer. Keep it over winter at least. You don't have any winter riding experience at all. In three or four years you'll see the wisdom of this. At the moment you don't have the experience to see it.

Rob
Rob is right on this one. I started back on the street on a 750 in 2000 (Kawasaki ZR-7) after not riding for a long time. In hindsight, I should have started back on the EX250 or EX500 at that time. My previous experience in riding was mainly motocross from the late '60's through about 1980. I owned a few small street bikes (mostly dual purpose types) until 2000. Had two panic low side wrecks in a span of 2 years on a Yamaha 125 Enduro (both in winter months).

Quick Reply: How long are you keeping the 250?