Having Thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Default Having Thoughts....

Hi, I have been reading many posts, just usually don't post much.

While reading many of these posts, it is making me hesitant to buy the new 250.

All I hear good about it is it's gas mileage and how good it handles in the turns. So how is it on the highway? Will I get tugged around by the cars around me because it weighs only "x" amount of pounds. I am also worried because I weigh 105 lbs. (i'm not annorexic lol) and im 5"10. I'm scared about my weight being a factor in dropping the bike. I need some real oppinions from people that actually have one or something similar.
These are the questions that I hope can be answered:
I like "take off" power, will it take off fast like the other bikes I see?
With my weight will it fit me?
This is going to my first bike, should I start on something bigger so I don't "outgrow" it?

I always get "haha the 250, you'll get bored of that and wish you bought a bigger bike"

I know this forum is leaning towards the good side of the 250, but I want all the cons.
I know it's a lot to ask, but I want honest answers.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Having Thoughts....

If you long for speed you might be bored with the 250 as everyone you know on their 600s will be blowing by you at takeoffs. 250 is a great bike but lighter and smaller width tires then a ss bike. this means you are more sensetive to imperfections in the road (grooves, debris, cracks) and you will feel the wind a lot more moving you. I wouldn't say it is "dangerous" but you do have to pay a little more attention specifically at HW/IS Speeds with lots of cars around. on a 600 it is much easier ride at 60-80mph and the bike feels much more stable.

I went from a 250 to a 600 and buying a 250 was a great idea to learn on and a very smart/economical (read cheap) ride. 600 is just an all around better and more enjoyable bike, if you can deal with less mileage.

I do have one big problem with the 600 though, that is every time i get off the bike I have this big stupid grin stuck on my face that just won't come off. I have searched the forums though, and it seems like a common problem riders get when moving to a bigger bike. Kawi said it wasnt covered under my warranty either so I guess I'll just live with it.

[8D]

Old 02-15-2008, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, my .02...

I started on a 750 cruiser - it was not the best choice for a beginner as it was a bit heavy for me but I did learn on it. Now, if you want to ride twisties and you want to learn how to control a bike in the twisties I'd bet the 250 would be perfect for you. For mostly commuting, you may want something large. I don't own a 250 yet, but I can tell you this - my bike cc transition has gone like this:

750-750-500-750 (first crash) - looking now, either a 250 or 500.

Basically my crash taught me that I don't ride as well as I thought I could. I'm downsizing, and I'm even a pretty big guy and I'm looking at 2 250's tomorrow and an '81 550 LTD..So basically I got taught a lesson and I'm learning to ride better and bigger is not always better!

I like twisties and ride the highway alot but I don't have too much concern about riding on the highway. 70 miles to the gallon sounds great (drive an '07 mustang now - OUCH!) and I want to learn to handle the twisties. That's why the 250 is appealing to me, even though I'd be coming off a ZX7!!

Again, my humble .02 worth!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

How old are you, and what do you want out of a bike? If you have no experience and are young, a klx might be a great choice too.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:11 AM

I am 16 and have absolutly no experience riding a bike.

I want speed, not like " Omgz I can go 400 mph, want to race " , but taking off at red lights infront of the pack of cars. It's hard to explain. Like when I think of a 250cc engine, I remember the skooter I had when I was 12 that was 49cc and went 20mph. I'm scared it will be like a golf cart.

I don't want anything I can't handle.
I just want something fun that will give me a little rush I am craving.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I think the 250 will be a perfect fit for you, like I said, consider the KLX 250 as well. You could have fun on and off the road (legally) and any of these bikes should have an advantage over most cars. Insurance is going to be the killer for you, I think the 250 will b significantly more than the dual purpose. At your age/size, I would go KLX. The rush could happen in any terrain, and you can't (shouldn't) jump a 250R.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I bet the 250 will give anyone a rush. Especially once set up.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you have your car license yet? I would recommend learning to drive a car before a motorcycle. This way you'll learn what you should do and what other cars will do in a given driving situation with someone experienced beside you (a parent), so then when you switch over to a motorcycle, you wont be overwhelmed by trying to operate a motorcycle while figuring out what the moron in front of you is doing. For the "take-off" factor. A Ninja 250 has a 0-60 in 5.75 s. According to this website http://www.performancecarnews.com/Fa...cess=ShowTable that puts you ahead of a Audi S4 (5.8) and slightly behind a Porsche Boxster (5.7). When I was starting out, I wanted to just go out and buy an R6, but a wise man told me its better to learn how to drive a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. I got a great deal on a Virago 250 and have been riding it happily for a while now, and even it accelerates harder than most of the Honda Accords in the city.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

My brother in law was in your pants last summer. He thought because he drag races big cars he could handle a big bike. He rode my KE100 a lot. Then when he thought he was going to go out and buy a R1 I told him to come ride my 750R. he's about 5'6", 105lbs. He jumped on the 750R and took off. About 3 minutes later he was back in my driveway white as a ghost and asking what I thought about the 250 Ninjas. Start small, work bigger. 250s can be bought cheap so you don't dump a lot of money into. Customize it while you work on your skills. Then when you have time under your belt buy something bigger and keep the 250 for the mileage.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:24 AM

the 250 is plenty for you. you'll wizz by cars at a red light no worries. thing still tops out at 110 mph from what i've been told. and the new 08 is gorgeous and much better than the old, and cheaper apparently.

Quick Reply: Having Thoughts....