Grip Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Grip Replacement

Looking to replace the grips on my 07 Ninja. The stockers are very uncomfortable on long rides. My 94 Ninja had some aftermarket chrome / rubber grips that were large diameter and very comfortable. I think I just need something larger to take care of that palm ache I get after riding for a while.

I ordered some 'ergonomic' grips but I think they must be for a 1" bar, as they don't fit tight. Unfortunately, I cut the stockers off so I had to make do until I get a replacement. Do we have 7/8" bars on the 250?

Tell me what you think of these

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-49...ome-Grips.html

Also, the screws holding the weights on the ends of the handlebars areon so tight I can't get them off, and the head started to round off, so I stopped. Anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the bar weights?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Default RE: Grip Replacement

I like the grips. All I can tell you is what happened to me. I put my bike in a ditch, on accident of course, and broke one handlebar and bent the other one. When I tried to get that screw out on the end holding the weights on I couldn't get them off either. and my husband has all kind of cool gadgets in the shop and still nothing. So when I went and bought the new bars I bought some aftermarket universal replacement bar ends. Those screws on the end of the weights are lock tight threaded in, what ever that means. All i know is that there was some pink looking stuff on the threads.

Those grips are VERy had to pull off but i slid a small screwdriver under it and sprayed some kind of lube behind i found in the shop and it slid off. I bought new grips but they were cheap and seemed to be to big to fit tight. So i put the stock ones on for now.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I opted to save my self some trouble (and frustration, and damage) and just ordered some gel grips that fit like the stockers. If I don't like them, I'll figure out how the weights come off and get some bigger diameter grips on there...somehow. (I have a Dremel that just LOVES stuff like this).

Old 05-09-2008, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

A helpful bit of advice for removing grips, use an air blow gun. (The kind you connect to an air compressor.) Put the nozzle on the inside the grip and blow! It will create a small pocket of air, and that grip will come off with no problems at all.