getting a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: getting a new bike

ORIGINAL: Sportriderfan

alright thanks, Ye, ithink i will go testdrive the ninja 250r, they said that i could. I figured out how to afford a little more expensive bike, ithink im gonn get a litle bigger one as long as i dnt fall in love with the 250 when i ride it. wat kind of gasmileage can i expect outof a 650?
Not for sure on gas mileage... Should be around mid to high 40's ....

Old 05-13-2006, 04:29 AM

Well thanks for the info. You said all new bike are fuel injected?? i didnt think the ninja 250r is, is it? But i might go look at the 650, whats the biggest downfall if i wanted a 250 cuz of price?? Is it the excelleration? or what
Im 16 myself and my mother (only parent) wont help me pay for much of it so I'm mainly on my own. I really want the 250 for it's cheap price, insurance, and the potential 70 mpg I hear about. I only have a job at a Long John Silver's so I can't get much power ^_^' but even if I had a choice I'd still get a smaller bike just for the gas milage.

On a side note (with me being such a noob and all, pls dont laugh :P) do you HAVE to take the MSF course if you're under 18? Is that only a law in certain states? I know its for the better but I don't want to pay the $175 right away

Old 05-13-2006, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

i'd get atleast a 600 or newer. If thats the bike you want to eventually get then go ahead. If you can ride already, and you take the course to get your licience and your comfortable on the bike, then I personally wouldn't waste the time on a 500. DOn't get me wrong, i rode one a few weeks ago and its fun as hell. smooth power, not tons of it, but addiquite to run around with. I'd like to have one just to commute on and keep the miles off my 7. But if you want to setup to a supersport bike in the near future, i'd go ahead and get one now. I'd get a used one though, esp since it would be your first SS bike. YOu can pick up a 2-3yr old bike for half price with a few K miles on it. Insurance will be hella cheaper too, b/c your not going to want to pay full coverage on a new bike that has a loan on it.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:16 AM

ORIGINAL: mondheller

Well thanks for the info. You said all new bike are fuel injected?? i didnt think the ninja 250r is, is it? But i might go look at the 650, whats the biggest downfall if i wanted a 250 cuz of price?? Is it the excelleration? or what
Im 16 myself and my mother (only parent) wont help me pay for much of it so I'm mainly on my own. I really want the 250 for it's cheap price, insurance, and the potential 70 mpg I hear about. I only have a job at a Long John Silver's so I can't get much power ^_^' but even if I had a choice I'd still get a smaller bike just for the gas milage.

On a side note (with me being such a noob and all, pls dont laugh :P) do you HAVE to take the MSF course if you're under 18? Is that only a law in certain states? I know its for the better but I don't want to pay the $175 right away
It just depends on ur state. Most of the time if its required its offered for free. For me its required, but it was a free class. My frined lives in my neighbor state (Missouri) he didnt have to take any class, and hes 16.