Factory Ninja 250R helmet lock impossible to work with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Factory Ninja 250R helmet lock impossible to work with?

Is it just me, or does anybody else think Kawasaki should have found a more reasonable location to mount their helmet lock? I have two issues with this lock. first off, I have two full face helmets, and It's almost impossible to get either of their strap buckles to reach the lock rod without feeling like you're stretching the hell out of the strap. The second thing that even pisses me off more is that even when you get the helmet mounted on the lock, The helmet sits against the scorching hot muffler!

Why didn't kawasaki find a better place for the lock? Do any of you guys see this as a problem too? I am thinking of using a thin insulated steel cable and putting a small loop on each end so I can run the cable through the helmet, and secure the two loops to the bike lock. This way I can have the helmet sit on the seat. Or, I have seen these helmet lock extensions for the helmet buckle. It looks like a long "T" with a hole at the bottom to attach to your lock. However, even with the extension, the helmet would still touch the exhaust.

If anyone has any ideas about solving my little dilemma, please let me know.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Factory Ninja 250R helmet lock impossible to work with?

get a icon backpack and take your helmet with you.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I actually just got the icon squad backpack which I love, but it looks wierd walking around with the "helmet bulge" underneath it. I may have found something today that will work for me, but I need to modify it first. If it works, I'll try to post pics of what I did.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

mabey its just me but if i left my helmet on my bike, it could only take one wise *** trying to be funny around his friends to spit in it or something. i just hold my helmet wherever i go. that icon backpack is cool but its freakin huge.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:55 AM
1st Gear Member

you have a point there. I suppose it all depends on where you're parking your bike at too. In certain spots, I'm sure I wouldn't leave my helmet with the bike even if it's locked down.

BTW: I did find something that works for a cable lock. had to modify it a little. I'll try posting pics of it when I get a chance.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Just came across that sme issue this weekend. I put the foot peg down to rest the hemet on, which tends to be a balancing act. Once I finally got the thing locked on, I didnt have enough room to pull the key out. It sucks!

Old 07-03-2006, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

This is what I found to make my helmet lock cable. It's just a $4 bike lock you can buy at target or walmart.
[IMG][/IMG]
At first, I tried drilling out the roll pins that hold the locking mechanism together, but found it easier to use my dremmel tool and just cut the lock.
[IMG][IMG]
Here are the two pieces that I cut off.
[IMG][/IMG]
You do have to drill out the holes at the cable ends in order for it to fit on your bike's lock rod.
[IMG][/IMG]
And there it is! This cable is very secure, but it's kinda hard to work with because it stays coiled up. I can deal with it, but a thinner cable that didn't coil might be nice.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

wouldnt that of been easier and alot more stable to put the helmet on your handle bar and loop the cable through the helmet and around a fork leg ? as it sits now, whats going to happen to your helmet if it gets knocked off the seat ?

Old 07-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I usually just carry me helmet with me also.....Wouldn't a cable type gun lock work well, maybe?

Old 07-04-2006, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

In reply to evil636, I have also thought of going through the handle bars, or front wheels too, but my main objective was to have a small enough cable I could carry in my pocket when I don't have the backpack with me. (also don't want the helmet on the ground) But using a cable anywhere else means I would need a seperate locking mechanism. (I'm trying to keep the bulk down as much as possible)

Of course you could say to just put the cable under the seat, but it's a hassle to constantly remove the seat every time I want to lock up the helmet. I know I am making this way more difficult than it needs to be, but I feel if I can come up with a good way to solve the 250R's lock problem surely others have also experienced, I will have done a good service to all!

I usually take the helmet with me most of the time anyway. But sometimes you just need to leave it. I don't think I'm quite happy yet with the cable I have. It's a bit large to keep in your pocket, and the coils are a bit anoying. So the quest continues.....

Quick Reply: Factory Ninja 250R helmet lock impossible to work with?