Engine shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Default Engine shutting off

I recently purchased a '97 with 4900 miles. It runs fine except sometimes when I accelerate fast..like between lights it dies when im slowing down. So it turns green, i shift into 3rd with the rpms revving and the next light turns red and I have to stop. I downshift and everything and this doesnt happen everytime but sometimes it bogs down as if its in gear (Ive got the clutch held in) and it dies and i coast to the light. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Engine shutting off

??????? Check for a vaccuum leak maybe, losing engine vaccuum on decel.... maybe the air filters real dirty.... maybe the carbs have the float set too low.... maybe.... lol... not much help man.. does the bike pop or sputter at all? Do you have any smoke out the exhaust when she's running?

Old 05-03-2006, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I recently had a similar problem with a '04 250. Before looking at taking off the carbs or getting a valve job, I adjusted the idle and took it to a dealer. He adjusted the idle a little bit more (idle adjustment **** is right there on the left side of the engine) and told me that the 250s run a little rough (compared to a bigger fuel injected bike) and take a little longer to warm up. In any case he sent me on my way without trying to sell me anything - haven't had a problem since. After warming it up and then riding it easy for 5-10 minutes, it never dies at idle any more, and never seems to bog down when I roll the throttle quickly. This might not solve your problem, but it's something you can try or ask, that doesn't cost anything. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:10 AM

ORIGINAL: gsims

I recently had a similar problem with a '04 250. Before looking at taking off the carbs or getting a valve job, I adjusted the idle and took it to a dealer. He adjusted the idle a little bit more (idle adjustment **** is right there on the left side of the engine) and told me that the 250s run a little rough (compared to a bigger fuel injected bike) and take a little longer to warm up. In any case he sent me on my way without trying to sell me anything - haven't had a problem since. After warming it up and then riding it easy for 5-10 minutes, it never dies at idle any more, and never seems to bog down when I roll the throttle quickly. This might not solve your problem, but it's something you can try or ask, that doesn't cost anything. Good luck.

Yeah ive been letting it warm up more and just being aware of the problem. If I feel it start to bog down when im slowing down i just try and downshift as much as possible, giving it gas. I have thought about changing the airfilter so hopefully that may help too. thanks for the help guys.