Edit: (STARTED)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Edit: (STARTED)

I am getting very frustrated.... very frustrated. I've taken the engine apart twice, new rings and deglazed cylinder walls, timing was done exactly like the manual says (2T mark on crank and EX and IN marks on camshafts lined with top of cylinder head), I've checked for spark, swapped plugs with my buddies 250, along with the IC Ignitor, connections are all in, I've put in a Factory Pro jet kit now running 115's and set the idle screw out 3 turns on each, now have uni-pod filters (still running open pipes).

Now my attempts... won't do **** when trying to start her, battery is pretty much dead so I have to jump her from my car if I want to try and start it. When I'd try to roll start the engine would start but sound somewhat muffled as if it wasn't combusting completely and then die out in 10 feet or so, die immediately if I gave it gas. I've tried spraying engine starter fluid, got one pop before but doesn't do **** still. I dunno, you think I should grab a new battery? Only thing is if the battery isn't supplying enough power to ignite the spark shouldn't it be fine if I was jumping it? I dunno, I left the battery plugged in for like 4 or 5 weeks before I put her back together so I knew it was kinda dead but have even recharged it. I'm getting so pissed off I have no idea what it is now. Please someone be my hero.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Still not starting

hahaha, be my hero. That was funny. You have been thru alot with this ride. Any pics of the cylinders before you deglazed them?
my thoughts. A battery will get things going, a good alternator/generator will keep things running. Good wire and coil to the plug?

Mott, dang, is everything new now?

Old 10-14-2007, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Lemme put it this way, I've put so much new stuff on that I am DYING to ride her because I want to see how different she is, I bought this bike to learn from so my next bike I can do everything right... and maybe not work on the engine outta my bedroom and put it together somewhere other than a sidewalk, hah

I think I'll pick up a battery tomorrow, btw, ignition coils were good too, I did an Ohm's test. I'll see if I can pick up some new plugs too. Cylinder walls were... smooth and shiney, had that darkish tint to it from the oil. Realized I put my compression rings in wrong the second time I tore into her. But man... this bike is my girl, and it's like she has some deadly disease that I'm not sure I can fix ... I need a miracle internet doctor

Old 10-14-2007, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

PS, I did also swap out my buddies battery in his 250 and still no results, so I dunno.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you ruled out the battery. The alternator/generator? You gettin enough juice?

Old 10-14-2007, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Haven't checked it, is there a way I could? And would that affect my spark at all?

Old 10-14-2007, 03:52 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

And would that affect my spark at all?
Of course it will. But use a common volt meter to check the alternator. Check volts and also ohm it out. This also rules out the rectifier in a way.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Alrighty, I'll check on that tomorrow. Was working fine though before I tore her apart weeks ago, so I'm still not certain it's electrical though. You think it could be a fuel issue?

Old 10-14-2007, 04:28 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Thought that you had checked all of the fuel possibilities weeks ago! lol Then again you mentioned that you checked the spark in your first post. I am thinking in circles now.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Now you know how I feel [:@]. I'm gunna double check the timing tomorrow and the alternator, just to start ruling things out. Only reason why I think it's still the fuel is because it started and then died when I gave it throttle when rolling it. So it maybe wasn't getting enough, dunno. I'll check in later. Thanks for the help so far!

Quick Reply: Edit: (STARTED)