Are crotch rockets really uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Default Are crotch rockets really uncomfortable?

Im 18 and looking to get my first bike, the 250 looks nice but my dad doesnt want me getting one cuz he says they are bad on the back. Any opinions? Also im 165, 6'1", is this bike too small, i can handle power but its the cost that worries me, the 650 is like twice the price, i cant test drive either b/c i dont have my license yet.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Are crotch rockets really uncomfortable?

if its ur first bike, i would go with the 250, im about the same size u are, and it fits me good, back feels fine, and it drives good, im 22 and this is my first bike

Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM

If you are 18 and don't have your license yet then you can't handle the power. Go with the 250, it'll be great to learn on.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with payne. Oh and my back feels better when i ride my 636

Old 06-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Riding a sport bike is no problem, it has to do with your riding position and how you are supporting your weight.

For a first bike I would say get the 250 and after wards move up to the more powerful bikes.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont have any probs w/ my 250. At 5'5' I have to sit close to tank, but I can sit upright while riding, w/ the long seat on these though, you can slide your butt back farther and will be able to tuck down w/o being uncomfy too.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say go with the 250 - that is if you really want a sport bike. I have a 500 and I don't find it uncomfortable at all. Actually I found the crusier that I rode in the safety course to be quite uncomfortable. I didn't like having my legs stuck out in front of me. I guess its a matter of personal preference and what you are comfortable with.

Go out and sit on a few different styles of bikes and pick which one feels better for you - not what your dad wants you to get. You'll be a lot better off out on a bike that you are comfortable on.

Good luck and keep us posted! Oh yeah, make sure you take a safety course too and get good gear!

Old 06-07-2006, 05:09 PM

On the 636, 056r wayne and i usually hook up on the weekends for a minium of a 3-5 hour ride. Not a problem. The usual butt problems, but u have that in a car. 056r and myself have been out for over 9 hours on our bikes with no ill effects. Me personally, i dont find cruisers comfy to ride. I dont like sitting on a reclining chair with 2 wheels. But thats just me.

I also have rode from pittsburg PA to Niagra falls canada. Only stops were for gas food and pee lol

From my past with the 250, it is a very comfy and agile bike. Unless u have severe back problems already, i think u will be fine.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yup, the only time it gets uncomfortable is when you see flashing red and blue lights behind you....

but that hasnt happened to me, so i am always comfy, haha [8D]

Old 06-27-2006, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a regular kawasaki kz750 street bike as well as my '06 ninja 250r. I think it all depends on you. if given the chance, ride a sport, and a regular bike for at least an hour to see what you like better. I really like the 250 ninja's seating. you don't lean "that" far forward as you normaly would with a larger crotch rocket. I would say it's a good compromise between regular and sport. I do think the regular or a crusier bike would be much more comfy for a long haul ride.

Quick Reply: Are crotch rockets really uncomfortable?