Couple of quick questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Default Couple of quick questions...

1) How much oil is needed after an oil change in the 250. I drained the oil, replaced the filter, and added 2 quarts. I have another quart, but I don't know if it needs it all or half or what. The oil level is no where near the oil fill cap.

2)Does anyone have expiereince tinting their 250 tail lights. This is a popular mod on s-10 pickups, and I assume would be the same process to do the the 250 tails. However, I was wondering if anyone here had tried it, and if there are pictures avalable.

This is the product they use.
Name:  DSCF0512.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  47.4 KB

This is what the tail lights look like after the tint spray, and clear coat.
Name:  smokedtails.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  9.4 KB

Thanks for any input.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Couple of quick questions...

Actually, two quarts is too much. The capacity is around 1.5 Qts. Put it on the center stand, loosen the drain plug to let some oil out until the oil line starts to become visible through the sight glass.

I don't know about that tint spray. I've used it when I was painting my nitro rc car bodies. It seemed to adhere well to the lexan shells. I just bought tinted clear lenses from clear alternatives.
Name:  DSC02357-comp-1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  74.2 KB

Old 04-09-2007, 08:58 PM

Hmm, im confused on the oil level then. Near the fill cap it says 1.9 liters, which when converted to quarts is 2.007708 quarts. Also where is this sight glass. I have a 93' Ninja if that helps at all.

I guess I will give the spray tint a try, the guys on the s-10forum say it's the way to go for doing truck tails. Worst that can happen is I need to buy new tails.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe I was seeing case capacity then. When I do my oil change on the 250, I use the 5QT bottles. So, I just look for the oil to get to the top of the sight glass as I fill it.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:45 AM

the book says 2 quarts when you change your filter

Old 04-10-2007, 05:15 PM

ok, it's got 2 quarts in it now, so I think i'm good. I forgot to check for the sight glass lastnight, I didn't even know it had one.

I'm gonna get the tint spray, and tint my tails. I'll take pics and do a write up on it for you guys.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll look forward to seeing the lights!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 AM

ORIGINAL: 1lowGMC

ok, it's got 2 quarts in it now, so I think i'm good. I forgot to check for the sight glass lastnight, I didn't even know it had one.

I'm gonna get the tint spray, and tint my tails. I'll take pics and do a write up on it for you guys.
Ive determined after a few oil changes that is theamount when you fill the bike up when its new. It usually takes 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 qts.
You need to learn how to actually check your oil using the site glass, you should be in the habit of checking the oil everytime you ride. The oil will need to be topped off several times between changes, if you dont you will toast your engine.

To check it you run the bike shut it off wait 5 min then while it is straight up look in the site glass and make sure its at least 1/2- 3/4 way up the glass. If you cant hold it upright and get a good look put it on the centerstand.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 AM

i have all ways put 2 qts in ive never hade to top off the oil between changes its checked every ride

Old 04-12-2007, 12:18 AM

what is the name of the oil that's you use, and where can u find it besides a motorcycle shop?

Quick Reply: Couple of quick questions...