Cost of First Service

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Default Cost of First Service

I was wondering how much everyone paid for thier first service?

I plan on doing all the other services myself, after the first. If I knew anyone in NE Georgia that could help with the first one, I would do it myself, with thier help, of course.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cost of First Service

I did my own service. The less money going to the dealership, the happier I am. It really isn't hard to do the valve adjustment on the bike. Instead of using valve shims like on most bikes, they just use the tappet screw/locknut adjusters. So all you have to do is turn out the small screw on the rocker to the specified clearance and tighten up the locknut. Of course there is a little more to it then that, but having this type of valve adjuster makes for a much quicker service. The hard part I thought was taking everything apart to get to the engine. (And even that was simple and straight forward. If I lived in your area, I would certainly stop by and give you a hand. But unfortunately, you're a ways out from me.

Go to this page for info on doing the engine service: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Engine

Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 AM

I certainly appreciate the thought. I started to say, you only live around the corner but I was afraid you would not get the dry sense of humor -- smile.

I may go ahead and try it myself but ever body tells me that I am too old to be working on motorcycles. I am just guessing that it will cost between 250 and 350. I can buy some nice accessories for that kind of money. Remember, I am living on a fixed income and while that is not bad, it does make you a little more cautious with your spending.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

my local stealership quoted me at 180 for a valve adjust, and thats high, oil change you should be doing yourself, its really really really easy.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

$180? That seems cheap compared to other previous posts I have read on this topic. I always hear anywhere between $250-$400 for the break-in sevice.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

no, that is for valve adjust only.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I gotta bring my bike soon to the dealer. If I dont it voids my warrenty they said. Its gonna cost me about 230$ which really sucks cause I'm strapped for cash

Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey, don't listen to all of the people who tell you you're too old. That's based on THEIR assessment of what THEY will be like at your age. (RIGHT???) Tinkering and learning is what keeps us young. Seen the movie "Fastest Indian"? It's all there.

Now, as for your service issue, that's why we're here. If we don't know the answer, we can find it for you.
I've said it before: Never pay someone else to take advantage of your learning opportunity. How can we help?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't believe they can void your factory warranty if you don't choose to have them service your bike. I did my own service and it was pretty easy on the 250R

Old 08-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nitrospaz19

I gotta bring my bike soon to the dealer. If I dont it voids my warrenty they said. Its gonna cost me about 230$ which really sucks cause I'm strapped for cash
Keep all maintenance reciepts with a log of what was done. Doing the work yourself will not void the warranty. You can do the valve adjustments per the manual, just log it down, that does not void anything either. I call BS on the dealer saying that you have to take it to them.

Quick Reply: Cost of First Service