Coolant Leaking From Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Default Coolant Leaking From Head Gasket

Yes,I totally know I'm overposting here but I have a leak on the left side of the engine. It's coming from the two upside down half circle part of thevalve (edited)gasket. It's a slight leak at idle and I'm afraid of riding at higher RPMs.

Any one know how to fix this?

I noticed it leaked harder earlier when it was the actual hose... I've since clamped it down and it doesn't seem to leak from there anymore.. however the left side of the valve cover is leaking slightly. I dont want to risk riding on that.

Advice please.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Coolant Leaking From Head Gasket

hmm, do not start that ride up. If I am picturing this correctly from your description, you have coolant in your valve train.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:06 AM

what do i do?

Okay, I admit wiggled the coolant pipe that sits very close to the valve cover on the engine when I tried to remove the valve cover. When I turned the bike on, the piping area leaked bad. So I removed everything again and tightened or pushed the piping down, retightened the valve cover and started it up.. from where I can see it.. no coolant is leaking out from tha pipe anymore.. but slight coolant finds its way to the valve cover gasket and leaks out...

Where is that coolant coming from? How does it get there? I need to fix! =(

Old 06-27-2007, 05:17 PM

Pics:

The area

The piping where the leak initially started.

The gasket

Is the inside of the gasket, on the rounded part, supposed to look ripped like that?

I aligned the whole gasket making sure it sat right, or what felt like it sat right. retightened everything. valve cover bolts to 7ft/lbs of torque. started it up for about 3 minutes, no choke, no leak... everything looked good.. So then i threw the tank back on and started it again and let it sit there idling... then...

It seems to be running under the gasket from somewhere, but where? how does coolant get under the gasket... I have a feeling, as little that is leaking out, that much is also leaking into the engine's valve train/head. But the thing is.. where is this coolant coming from ?

Is 7ft.lbs right? could over tightening cause the gasket to warp somewhat, giving it an escape for the coolant?

Old 06-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

valve cover gasket not head gasket^^^^^^^

Old 06-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Crap! Valve cover gasket!!! sorry haha!

Old 06-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

no problem bro. pics help us help you

Old 06-27-2007, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

How is coolant leaking out of there? Isn't there only supposed to be oil in the vlavtrain?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

the tube you see in the pics coolant runs thru those tubes. the O ring might be bad
ORIGINAL: korax123

How is coolant leaking out of there? Isn't there only supposed to be oil in the vlavtrain?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:27 PM

Heres my guess. First Im pretty sure you dont have coolant in your valve train, the oil and area do not look contaminated with coolant. It would be foamy and nasty looking.

In this pic on the right are the tube hoedogg is talking about is brass colored. I believe it has an o-ring and shoves into the opening, they do leak. so what is happening is its leaking and running along the head gasket and coming out the cresent shaped part. I dont have my shop manuals with me hopefully from this diagram here you can sort it all out.http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_04...mp;parent=3060I think you need part 670 which is near/on part 32102. you can get an o-ring from autozone just make sure its high temp for radiators and take the old one with you.

Beware this is at your own risk. I dont have my books and cant remember for sure if what is in your pic is the tube that shoves in or not. I can check in a few hours and post back for sure. Or you can give it a whirl as is. Im 90% sure but stillan old lady with a bad memory

Quick Reply: Coolant Leaking From Head Gasket