Comfort and highway milage

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Default RE: Comfort and highway milage

My local dealer answered my email yesterday and called me. He said that the 250r doesn't accelerate well to merge into traffic (guessing he meant on the on ramp). He said he has a KLR650 in stock. I may stop by tomorrow if I have a chance.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

That's funny.

Dealers hate selling 250's. If they can find a way, they'll almost always try and step you up to something more expensive. The problem is the 250 doesn't make them much profit, so why bother wasting your time selling the thing? That is how the dealer thinks.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:48 PM

Ahahahaha thats hysterical and complete BS. Ask the dude if hes ever tried or if its his "concept" of the matter. BTW near as I can tell the top speed on the KLR is 107, if this is displayed speed then its actually slower top speed than the Ninja 250.

Call the guys bluff and ask him what the 0-60 is on the 250 is, its 5.5 sec. The KLR is a second faster maybe. Last trip up an on ramp I hauled my fat *** all the way past 75 before I hit the top. I had to slow down to get into the 65 mph traffic.

I do have a soft spot for the KLR650 my brother had one in 1985. I'm way too short for one (which is why the dealer wants to sell it, most people are) but I really like the look. Theres really nowhere to dig in the dirt here so it ends up being a waste.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

no problem, just remember to keep your weight off your arms. I used to do 110 miles every day and it was great. Better then the freaking cage.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 PM

How is the 250r on long trips, say Houston to Dallas, or Houston to Baton Rouge?
I've seen a lot of them this week n the highway with gear tied on the back.
The KLR650 is what I want eventually, I'm weighing weither it is better to start out (again) on a small bike and move up to what I want, or just pick up a KLR650 now. Since there is a model change next year, maybe I could strike a deal on a 2007.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 PM

People have done Iron Butt rallies on them (google if you dont know). I have a friend thats doing a loop around Lake Erie in 3 days he started today.

You can run it all the way up to redline and its quite happy around 11K rpms for hours. Though some change the sprockets to drop the rpms at 75 mph. I cant remember what the diff is but you loose some low end that way.

The number one rule is check the oil at every stop and after any high rpm ride, some oil mists out the crank case breather. This is normal and nothing to be worried about except that the 250 holds less than 2 qts so a 1/4 qt low is a big deal. They also require a valve check at 500 miles then again in 6K.

If your leaning towards the KLR and theyre coming out with a model change and the fact that they have a limited market then you may be able to get a killer deal. The 250s sell like hotcakes some dealers don't have any and cant get them fast enough.

Keep in mind that the resale on the 250 is very good. The KLR market depends on the area whether or not off roading is possible and whether or not a person wants an enduro and is tall enough to ride it.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:55 AM

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

That's funny.

Dealers hate selling 250's. If they can find a way, they'll almost always try and step you up to something more expensive. The problem is the 250 doesn't make them much profit, so why bother wasting your time selling the thing? That is how the dealer thinks.

VERY true!!! this is why we get lots of anti 250 rhetoric

Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slowpoke

How is the 250r on long trips, say Houston to Dallas, or Houston to Baton Rouge?
I've seen a lot of them this week n the highway with gear tied on the back.
The KLR650 is what I want eventually, I'm weighing weither it is better to start out (again) on a small bike and move up to what I want, or just pick up a KLR650 now. Since there is a model change next year, maybe I could strike a deal on a 2007.
As much as I like my 250R, I think you should step it up to the KLR if that's what you like. I can enjoy my 250 since I also have my 750. But if I only had a 250, I would start feeling the urge to ride something larger/faster. Not trying to bad mouth the 250, but the KLR650 would probably be more livable from day to day.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:16 AM

As long as I can have something to ride the twisties with and ride on the interstate at 80mph or so, I am golden with the 250. It fits me perfectly and I cant wait to get my bike.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:46 PM

I visited the dealer today with my oldest son. The dealer has a silver 2007 250r, a black KLR650, and a red KLR650. I'm leaning twords the red one. It's going to be about $6300 out the door with the 4 year extended warranty, and a riding suit.

It's the same salesman who told me the 250r didn't accellerate well. He's about 400 pounds, so I don't think anything would accellerate too well for him.

He is also a Harley dealer. There were about 20 Harleys there from some local riders group. I commented to the salesman that it didn't bode well for the Harley brand if they were all at the dealer buying parts on such a nice riding day. He smiled and agreed.

Quick Reply: Comfort and highway milage