clicking or ticking (Valves?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Default clicking or ticking (Valves?)

OK I have a 2007 Ninja 250. I have had a clicking or ticking sound coming from the engine area. it only has 1600 miles on it. I did an oil change on it and it fixed it for about 20 miles then it was back. went to the dealer and they told me I over filled the oil and they changed it again. 5 miles later it was back. now its really LOUD but it only dose it when its at normal running temps.

What is it the cause? I've come to believe it has some thing to do with the valves But most shops I talk to tell me that I should not have to adjust them for many more miles to come. could it be carbon build up on them. I rode it all through winter and had to use the choke a lot and I've read that if you use the choke a lot it causes build up on the valves.

if this help any I cant get up to speeds like I used to. normal I drive about 80-90 mph on the high way but now it seems that the best I really can do is 70 mph.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: clicking or ticking (Valves?)

What!!??? The dealer changed your oil again because you apparently over filled it? Already sounds like a fishy dealer to me.[>:] (why not loosen up the drain plug to let some oil out?) BTW, when you check your oil, do you check it while on the center stand or while the bike is straight up?

The ticking sound comes from your valve tappets. 250R's are somewhat louder than most bikes when it comes to valve train noise. (and it's normal) Did you complete the 600 mile valve adjustment??? The only reason I can think of for it getting louder after warming up may be because the oil is loosing enough viscosity after getting hot.

Having a video, or sound clip would help out in case it isn't the valves.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:17 PM

I check the oil while thebikeis straight up. the 600 mile check up was done at the same dealer who told me that it was my oil that caused the clicking. I'm already not going back to them anymore.

this clicking noise is kinda new though its only been there for like the last oh 250-300 miles.
and the other day my neighbor was out working on his bikes when I turned mine on and he came over and ask when was the last time I've had a valve adjustment done and that I might want it checked out.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

It's very possible some new guy at the dealer didn't properly tighten the valve tappet adjustment nuts on your bike when setting the clearances. If this were to happen, the tappets would become increasingly loose, and that may explain why the engine ticking keeps getting louder.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:26 AM

OK I had to register and reply to this one... As I had a similar problem with my '06 Took it in for 600 mile service fixed problem. Then around the 10k service (8-9k miles when I started noticing it) the ticking came back. Assuming it was coming due for another valve service I ignored it figuring all was normal. Took her in @ just over 10k come to find out somehow or another the timing chain had stretched. Fortunatly the dealer worked a little magic and had it covered under warrenty or the $600 would have come out of my pocket. The tech that did the repair did say that the valves were perfect at the time.

Hope this helps some.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 AM

what are you running for oil in it convenional or sinthecti have noadised a large diffrence in the noise levil from the valve train

Old 04-07-2007, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

i get that same ticking noise, but i'm also over-due for a valve adjustment []

arethere any write-ups for a valve adjustment? i have a manual but... it isnt the most detailed, just real basic

Old 04-07-2007, 07:40 PM

I dont know if you are aware of this but the clutch baskets on the 250s are noisy. It sounds like marbles in the lower part of the engine. If the noise goes away when you pull in the clutch then that is what it is. It is normal and not a problem with the bike so dont worry about it. Also at 9K RPMthe whole bike resonates so things will rattle usually the clutch lever or your keys.

Do not put synthetic in the 250 until it has at least 6K on the engine. It will cause the rings not to seat properly and could cause problems with the clutch plates.
When you change the oil the first time and every so often,you should clean the filter screen that is under a different cover than the oil filter. Sometimes on a new bike it can be full of machining crap from when it was made. Then replace the filter and start with 1 1/2 quarts run it a bit shut it off let it sit 5min then check the level and add 1/4c at a time until at least 1/2-3/4 up on the glass after running and sitting 5 min, this makes sure you are consistent at checking the level everytime. Also check the oil level everytime your ride, the oil can go down quickly on them and suprise you by stranding you somewhere with burnt engine bushings.

You need to find a dealer thats not crap and have your valves checked and adjusted if needed. It really needs to be done at 500 miles then every 3-6K. It should run at the very least $175 but usually around $300. You can do them yourself if your so inclined, personally I wont do them by myself the first time, theres too much at stake if you mess it up. Im terribly dislexic so I have to color code everything. Then Im a claud so I have to do things like tie the feeler gauges to my wrist so I dont drop them all the way down into the oil pan. I havent adjusted mine myself yet, I have a buddy thats going to help me with my ninja and my kat 600. Fortunately theyre both locknut so I dont have to buy a shim kit.

You want the valves on the 250 adjusted on the loose side after an adjustment because they tend to tighten not loosen over time. This causes them to be louder than most bikes in general. However...

The amount of noise should only be a light rhythmic tapping. They sound like a sewing machine. I get concerned when the tapping goes away because its time for an adjustment. Tight valves can cause the bike not to idle although in that case you would want to clean and adjust the carbs first. Tight valves will also get too hot and burn which is a concern but not common.

Louder tapping can be caused by not correctly setting the gap when adjusting the valves, the most common reason is using standard gauges instead of meteric this will cause something to break usually a rocker. Also the locknuts can come off and roll around in the top of your engine, the stems can break or strip. But this usually happens shortly after theyre adjusted because of mechanic error.

There is another sort of tapping more like a rapping or banging and usually only at idle when the bike is warm. I can make it happen most when in neutral I blip the throttle then on the way back down it will make a rapping banging noise coming from the right of the engine on top of the tranny case. Then it fades in and out if it sits and idles a bit.

This is caused by the cam chain tensioner, I have this problem with my bike right now at 4yrs old and 9k miles. What happens is the tensioner is lubed only by the chance some engine oil might get slopped into it which doesnt happen enough to keep it from jamming usually up into the cap part of it.

It is unlikely this is your noise but something to keep in mind if having a dealer that knows what theyre doing has adjusted the valves and you still have the noise. Its a very simple task and you would want to follow the manual and use a moly lube lightly on it after youve cleaned it. You want to be very careful when taking it out of the engine so you dont loose bits, I think you also need a gasket but not sure. The dealer will replace it for you the part is $35 plus their min labor charge. I wouldnt think think this is your noisse but you never know.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Very good write up, mnosbor.

As long as you are careful with the valve cover gasket, you shouldn't need to replace it. That gasket is very soft rubber, and can be re-used if not damaged.

I've never heard about the clutch basket being noisy on 250's. But if so, that could be david's problem.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is the valve adjustment procedure for you, Mott.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...t_procedure%3F

Quick Reply: clicking or ticking (Valves?)