A broken cam is normal wear and tear hmmmmmm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A broken cam is normal wear and tear hmmmmmm?

Well this is a co-workers bike, a mint, maintained to a T, 1997 250 with 20,000 km (not miles)on it, has owned the bike since it had only 95 km on it. She had brought the bike to the local dealer to have the valves checked as per her service recomendation in the manual. The bike was working fine and she had no problems with it, bike was just brought in as recomended by the manual for service.

The dealer did the work, adjusted the valves as required (she has a parts list of what they replaced/serviced) and she picked the bike up. All was well until maybe 200 km later when the bike's engine just stopped, left her stranded on the highway. So the bike was brought back to the dealer, what they discovered was a broken cam shaft! To which the dealer says is normal wear and tear on this bike!

Seems a little strange to me that the bike worked fine before she brought it in and that the cam broke after they where into the top end of the motor.

Any thoughts? Recomendations ?

Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A broken cam is normal wear and tear hmmmmmm?

sounds like [sm=bs.gif]to me.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup, me too. But it doesn't sound like they are going to come good for it.

Quoted 11 hours labour, new head, valves, some other parts for a grand total of almost $3,000 !

Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, correction, she had put 690 km on it since picking it up from the dealer.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Grab the KY cause you,She, is getting it. [&o]

90% of the dealers suck sheet, sorry tohear your guys story and good luck.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

That sucks try to argue with the dealer as much as possible and get them to atleast pay for some of the damage.
Did it ruin the whole engine orjust the head?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

its bull**** and they had to of screwed something up on the valve adjustment and that's a major lawsuit, my bike has 50,000 plus miles and never a broken camshaft, not to mention i do the occassional beat it hard until my seat gets hot

definitely fight this one out with the dealer because it's just way too unsafe for somethign like that to happen

Old 06-21-2007, 03:34 AM

Contact Kawasaki and see what they have to say. The engine has a rated life of 30,000 miles, dont know how it translates to km but you arent even close.

I dont know what they could have done to snap the cam, a loose locknut? Wasit low on oil? Did the cam chain tensioner fail (highly unlikely)

Also you can get a used engine for $500 off ebay, find a motorcycle shop to install it not the stealer.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:30 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mnosbor

Contact Kawasaki and see what they have to say. The engine has a rated life of 30,000 miles, dont know how it translates to km but you arent even close.

I dont know what they could have done to snap the cam, a loose locknut? Wasit low on oil? Did the cam chain tensioner fail (highly unlikely)

Also you can get a used engine for $500 off ebay, find a motorcycle shop to install it not the stealer.
dang, I am thinking an over tightened cam chain issue at first. This is a messed deal for sure.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

on this same note, my brothers bike was given to him in pieces (as a gift) by a friend that was told by the dealer that he over reved and warped the head, and that is why the bike would not start, whatmy broactually found out was that the coils were fried so the battery was not charging....his friend took the bike in twice to get it fixed but those crooks at powersports just charged him as much as they could until he could not afford it.My advice: use the internet read the forums and do research and ask someone. if you really think your vehicle: car or bike needs repair make sure you know what is wrong before you take it somewhere to get it fixed, this is unless you feel like you can do it your self. or else they willcome back and tell you that the flux capacitor is busted and it cost 1000 for the part but becuase this part is inside the engine the have to tear it down and charge you al the labor.