Bike Keeps Dying Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Default Bike Keeps Dying Out

Hello

This is my first time here; I apologize that my first post is asking for advice on a problem with my bike.

I have a 2007 250R with about 800 miles on the odometer. I bought it through private party from a lady who only put about 200 miles on it before selling it. Everything seemed to be in perfect working order and I hadn't had any problems with it before this. I even had the gas tank recall done a couple months ago.

I got really busy in the past month and did not get to ride it at all. Today, the bf and I decided to go for a ride. The bike started up just fine, with the choke all the way up. I usually let the bike warm up while I gear up, and then gradually ease off of the choke as I start riding.

Anyway, when I got on the bike, I turned the choke down about halfway and the rpms dropped really low. I tried to give the bike some gas but the rpms did not go up. I figured since it had been a few weeks since I'd ridden, I wasn't used to the controls anymore. But suddenly, the rpms spiked up and the bike lurched forward.

Through the next few intersections, the bike continued to act in this manner. If I turn the choke up all the way, the rpms stay steady at about 6k or 7k. But as soon as I try to close the choke a teeny little bit, the engine starts to falter and sputter like it's not getting enough gas. When I roll the throttle, there is a delay and then the rpms suddenly spike again like it finally got a surge of gas.

The last time I fueled up was August 31 (exactly 32 days ago). Since then I only went 26 miles and I confirmed the gas tank is still full. The bf filled up his R6 with me that same day, and his bike is not having any problems at all. Not sure if it makes a difference that I'm carburated and he's not...

And yes, I checked that the fuel switch is set to "on" (not "off" or "res").

Old 10-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike Keeps Dying Out

I'd dump the fuel and get fresh along the lines on what you are thinking first. Dump it into a clean container so that you can inspect it visually.

Welcome to KF!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 and check your fuel filter could be clogged

Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

sounds like u just need to raise the rpm's after the bike warms up, just turn the carb idle adjustment **** slightly, bring it to 1500 rpms and leave it there

Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Bad gas, dude. I agree with Dragone; dump that stuff and get some fresh.Drain the bowls, too.
It seems like gas goes bad very quickly, anymore. Even if you don't actually ride at least once every couple weeks, try to start your bike and let it warm up. Your engine will thank you for it.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:56 PM

I'll dump the gas and fill it up with a fresh batch when I get home tonight. If that doesn't work, it looks like I've got a couple of other things I can try. Thanks for your suggestions, guys!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

1+ to what everybody else has said.

Has it become significantly cooler outside where you live? If so, you probably want to adjust the idle **** as pfft84 mentioned. I adjust my idle about twice a year. Once in the fall as the temps start to drop, and again in the spring when the temps start consistently rising.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with Mark on this one. And the questions like that are what we are here for. Welcome to the KF family. Ride it hard, it'll thank you later.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:24 PM

Thank you, everybody. I love how everybody is so friendly.

I finally got a chance to look at the owner's manual, and in the part describing carb adjustments, it says, "carburator synchronization should be only done by a competent mechanic using vacuum gauges, following the instructions in the Service Manaul."

I'm not synchronizing it, right? Just adjusting the idle speed? So I shouldn't worry about this little disclaimer, right?

I can do simple things on cars (change oil, rotate tires, change brakes, etc.) ... but for some reason, doing anything mechanical on the bike scares me and it's like a totally foreign land. So forgive me if I seem a bit paranoid! LOL

Old 10-07-2007, 04:54 PM
CC

Hey Chocopaws. Read this for idle speed adj. Very simple to do. And adjusting the idle will not require you to synch the carbs.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...I_adjust_it%3F

Quick Reply: Bike Keeps Dying Out