Any riders in VA take dmv motorcylce skills test?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Default Any riders in VA take dmv motorcylce skills test?

just wondering if im lucky enought to find anyone in here from virginia who has taken the skills test at the dmv for your motorcylce license??????.. I am wondering what i should be practicing in order to pass the test,,,,,,,,,in my area and surrounding areas,,, the next available MSF course is 6 months away!!!..i dont know bout yall but i cant wait that damn long...!!!....Any feedback would be appreciated,,,thanks

.....GO BLu3 GO!

Old 04-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Any riders in VA take dmv motorcylce skills test?

I'm not from your area, but down here you have too:

Drive in a figure eight at low speeds,
Drive in a straight line while the tester is walking beside you and you can not go faster than he walks and you can not put your feet down

Then they make you demonstrate your ability to touch each control with your eyes closed. They'll make you touch hi beam/lo-beam, turn signals, clutch, brake, horn..

Then you have to drive straight line, get into second gear, then slam on the brakes. they're gonna look for swerve, whether or not you use both brakes or just one, and your ability to stop the bike quickly while balancing it..

Then you finally get the road test. Here, they just make you drive around the block while they watch. USE turn signals..

That's about it.. I would think the tests would be kind of standardized, and this was about 15 years ago when I took mine, so maybe outta date

Old 04-03-2006, 02:43 PM

thanks a lot big rig ....that information really helps me a lot........Just one more question please??..on the figure eight..do you know or estimate how much room i have to do it?/..say in parking lot spaces?????.......

Old 04-04-2006, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

It was actually a decent size space. Maybe 10 spaces by 10 spaces. i took the test on an old honda 360 twin. If you remember the old twins, they don't turn for nothing..

One of my coworker's boys just went to get his endorsement, and it is still pretty much the same test. he failed the first time doing the figure eights. He dropped the bike. But he is a newbie, nothing wrong with that, but he used his Dad's 870 lb electra glide. Not a good move.

If you don't have a bike, or you have a friend that has a lightweight and nimble bike, take the test on that. Just make sure the bike is bigger than 100 cc so you can get your regular endorsement. If you take the test on a bike smaller than 100cc, then that's all you are allowed to drive, is 100cc or less..

That's how it is down here anyway.. I think some states require you to have a learner's permit to take the test. Here you don't have to. But you might check into it..

Old 04-04-2006, 06:49 AM

really really appreciate your help bigrig......i tried the figure eights ...not to bad if its about 10 spaces...still tricky for me..im only 1 and half weeks experienced in riding......but i tried moving in a straight line at slow speed..( like someone walking beside you) ...damn that was pretty hard....i guess i really need to practice that one a lot more before i take the test....thanks for taking your time and helping me out......ill let you know how i do !

Go Blu3 GO!

Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey no prob man... Ya, let us know how you do. Just get comfy on your bike, so you're not real nervous at the test ya know..
And when all else fails, just gas it!!! ha ha J/K.. don't do that!!

OH, when you do your straight line test at the DMV, walk the area first and make sure there are no grooves where the asphalt comes together, cause your bike is gonna try to follow them.. If there's grooves, try to ride beside them!!