650r - zx-6r - zzr6

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

You won't learn as much as you should on a 600 or 650. You can always spot the riders who did learn on these bikes because they're always a tiny bit untidy in their lines - always a fraction slow compared to riders who've put in the miles on a 250. Always a touch 'wristy' and lacking in real smoothness because they depend on the engine power rather than any real planning. Doesn't matter for a cruiser so much, but it shows on a sports bike.

Find a used 250 and you'll be able to sell it in a year for near what you paid. If you do trash it it'll hurt a lot less than trashing a new 650.

It's the being carefull too much that really limits you ability to learn. It's the constantly having to restrain the throttle during the learning process that, more than anything else, has such a long lasting detrimental effect on the skill set.

Last point - riding with a group is probably the most dangerous thing you can do. I only ever rode with a small group of fellow instructors - not so much because of how good they were, although they were very good - but because we'd all been through the same training and we all knew how the rest of us would react any given situation. Didn't stop me from dropping an XJ900 trying to stay with one of the guys through a bend on his new Honda 400 lol.

Rob

Old 02-15-2010, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I went to a local dealer yesterday and sat on a '09 250R, a '10 250R, and a '09 650R. I'm not going to lie, I was a little intimidated by the weight of the 650R. I guess I didn't clearly remember the weight of the ZX-6R I had rode several years ago. I didn't feel like the 650R was a bike that I would feel comfortable going into turns in just yet, so I believe I'll be starting with a 250R.

As a side note: I don't know any other bikes that are "Sport" bikes and are 250s. The fact that Kawasaki had a "Sport" bike in the 250cc range helped my decision. That and the fact that ever since 2008 the body style on the 250s has looked a hell of a lot better, IMO. If no one made a "Sport" bike around 250cc, I might have ended up with the 650R.

I haven't purchased the 250R yet, but when the tax money rolls in, I'll be headed up there to make my purchase. So far I'm between 3 different bikes:
  1. Used '09 250R w/ 480 miles - $3799 (Following pic is obviously not used.)
  2. New '10 250R - Blue - $4299
  3. New '10 250R Special Edition - Red & Black - $4499

Old 02-15-2010, 07:52 AM
1st Gear Member

You're better getting a used bike - you'll take much less of a financial hit when you move on in one or two years, but I'd avoid anything with very low miles - you don't know what sort of break in it's half way through. Better to look for something one or two years old with about 4 - 5,000 miles that's been looked after.

That special edition looks nice though - but you'll take the biggest hit when you come to trade it.

Rob

Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I've looked around locally and can't find any 250Rs from 2008 on, which is when the new body style started I believe. I figure, I'm new to motorcycles and don't think I'd really know what to look for or watch out for on a used motorcycle. If I buy a new one, I don't have to worry about any prior problems and I can break it in properly myself. Also, it'll have a warranty on it for when I need something fixed. I would sell it privately, not trade it in, whenever it came down that.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I would just buy a used "old" style for $2k and learn the ropes on that. learn how to clean the carbs if necessary, tinker on it then resale later on. I too like the new looks, but not at the added cost for a learner bike. Learner bike is abit rough, but lets just say being comfy on a ride makes all of the difference.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Personally I'm a believer in having a bike with no warranty and few things going wrong. It makes you learn your way around the bike and develop an awareness of when something needs attention.

I'll accept that not everybody feels like that, or wants to do their own mechanical work though. We're all different.

Rob

Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 250 is a good call!

Hey man, I just upgraded to an '08 650R and boy, am I glad I started on a 250. I've had some very, wide eye-opening moments on the 650. If I hadn't started on the 250 the sweet green 650 would have taken a dive. I literally would have cried like a little girl had I dropped the 650.

I actually bought my '05 250 last march. I dropped it on the test drive. Luckily I didn't do much damage. The plastic was already pretty trashed and the tank was dented. I just cracked the mirror, and scuffed up the fairing a little. Anyways, I used to hate the looks of the old school 250's but, after a while it grows on ya. I'm thinking of buying another 250 as now my old lady wants to learn to ride, and it's gonna be nothing but a used but, safe one for her. (Safer than my old one was anyway.) That way if she drops it or decides its not for her I'm not out much money at all.

Oh, and I'd be real careful riding in groups. Watch out for the crazy guys; the ones where you don't know what kinda stuff they're gonna pull and try to get you killed. If you wanna ride in a group find some chill dudes that aren't trying to race each other to the grave. That's just my 2 cents...

Old 03-03-2010, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I decided on the new special edition 2010 250R, the black and red one. It will be delivered Saturday, so expect some pictures then. Thanks again for every one's input, and I hope to take her out as soon as it warms up a little and the pot holes around town get fixed. The roads got jacked up this year with the colder then usual winter. :/

Old 03-17-2010, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Pics!

So I received my bike a couple weeks ago, but the weather wasn't really conducive for riding or taking pictures. The weather got better the other day and I snapped some pics! Here they are!

On a side note, I guess this thread can be moved to the appropriate forum, since we're no longer discussing 650Rs.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

nice! i like the tribal theme!

Quick Reply: 650r - zx-6r - zzr6