Is the 250r right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by timperkins8903
I am considering getting a 250r. I am a new rider, I have been on a couple 600s before but never more than a few hours and have never owned a bike. I am 6'1" and 179lbs, I was wondering about my size on the bike as well. I also would like to know if it is worth doing any modifications to this bike. I was thinking maybe a different exhaust. Thanks.

Forget it....get something else. See my other post.....carburetors are a pain to repair and maintain. They have lots of mechanical parts that will fail. Sometimes running in the mid 100s to repair/clean. I just paid $450 for a professional cleaning.

Get fuel injection. If you run into a problem with a 250, you will never get the right answer from anyone cause no one cares about carburetors or the 250 anymore.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ouch joserpm, I replied to your other post as well. Once you understand how a carburator works, then maintaining them is not bad at all. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with them.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 AM

I'm just waiting for someone to tell me 'wow, $450? I know so-and-so that would do it for $20'. Or 'I can tear the bike apart, clean the carbs, and put it all back together in 10 minutes'. The 'super mechanic'. Maintaining carburetors is not bad....is HORRIBLE. Tiny little parts that cost $20 or more to replace. Fuel injection is the way to go. That's why cars have them, and newer bikes too. They run clean, they don't choke you to death with the smell of fuel fumes, and, again....less mechanical parts to worry about.

Well, at least I learned one lesson. Forget buying a classic VW Beetle to restore then. And when my lawnmower dies.....It's gonna be replaced with an electric one. ZERO TOLERANCE TO CARBS. PFFT!!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by joserpm
I'm just waiting for someone to tell me 'wow, $450? I know so-and-so that would do it for $20'. Or 'I can tear the bike apart, clean the carbs, and put it all back together in 10 minutes'. The 'super mechanic'. Maintaining carburetors is not bad....is HORRIBLE. Tiny little parts that cost $20 or more to replace. Fuel injection is the way to go. That's why cars have them, and newer bikes too. They run clean, they don't choke you to death with the smell of fuel fumes, and, again....less mechanical parts to worry about.

Well, at least I learned one lesson. Forget buying a classic VW Beetle to restore then. And when my lawnmower dies.....It's gonna be replaced with an electric one. ZERO TOLERANCE TO CARBS. PFFT!!

^^LMAO^^ You must have the money to blow. If you didnt, You could of learned how to do it in 3 to 4hrs & Less then $40. Buy A Manual.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I'm just waiting for someone to tell me 'wow, $450? I know so-and-so that would do it for $20'. Or 'I can tear the bike apart, clean the carbs, and put it all back together in 10 minutes'.
I soak carbs overnight, so I generally say, see me tomorrow. They are just carbs, then resynchronize after install.

edit: I am not a mechanic either, but I like to tinker.

Last edited by Dragone#19; 10-09-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Carbs are easy to maintain, and apart from the float chamber have no more moving parts than the throttle body of an injection system, which also usually has stepper motors and position sensors, not to mention injectors that are electronically controlled and need cleaning or replacing. Add in the inlet pressure sensor, inlet temperature sensor and the ecu, plus the O2 sensor needed to monitor fuelling on a closed loop system and you have a much more complex system that costs far more to fix if it goes wrong.

TBs need synchronising, btw - just like carbs.

Read some of the forums on FI bikes and look at the complexity of getting correct fuelling. Modify the bike, change the exhaust for example, and you're probably looking at buying a Power Commander and spending hours trying to tweak the map. I like FI systems, but for ease of maintaining them, give me a carb any day.

Rob

Old 10-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by williamr
Carbs are easy to maintain, and apart from the float chamber have no more moving parts than the throttle body of an injection system, which also usually has stepper motors and position sensors, not to mention injectors that are electronically controlled and need cleaning or replacing. Add in the inlet pressure sensor, inlet temperature sensor and the ecu, plus the O2 sensor needed to monitor fuelling on a closed loop system and you have a much more complex system that costs far more to fix if it goes wrong.

TBs need synchronising, btw - just like carbs.

Read some of the forums on FI bikes and look at the complexity of getting correct fuelling. Modify the bike, change the exhaust for example, and you're probably looking at buying a Power Commander and spending hours trying to tweak the map. I like FI systems, but for ease of maintaining them, give me a carb any day.

Rob
It doesn't apply to me. I never modify the bikes for any reason, other than gel seats and better grips. Even on cars, I am modest, just an air intake, short shifter and exhaust. I don't believe in spending hours and blowing $$$ on too many mods.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 95451
^^LMAO^^ You must have the money to blow. If you didnt, You could of learned how to do it in 3 to 4hrs & Less then $40. Buy A Manual.
You prove my point to a tee. In fact, if you really can fix my 250 with less than $40, I'll let you have it. That's how confident I am that you can't do it. Carb rebuild kits are about $30-40 each, needing 2 of them. So if you really can fix it for less than $40, you either have connections, or cut corners somewhere. I'm talking a whole rebuild...not just a can of Sea Foam down the tank. I'm talking pilot jets, main jets, needle jet, etc....last time I checked, all parts needed for a rebuild amount to about $150 (assuming you don't need a diaphragm or other things like float bowls, covers, etc.

Point proven. It can't be done with $40.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Dude, Whats wrong with using the same parts. Removing them, Good Soak & Clean.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The float seats/needle is generally the only wear item in the float area. Do we have a contest happening now? lol

Quick Reply: Is the 250r right for me?