250 or 500

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 250 or 500

hey everyone i'm a newb. to the forums and to bikes. I fell in love the Ninja 500 but I don't have any experience on a bike and I'm being told its a death wish. I think I can still afford it but the 250 would be safer, less power, and cheaper. I'm afraid Im gonna get bored with it. I want want that's comfortable - that I can ride for quite a while if I want to( I know sport bikes aren't comfortable to begin with) Anywayz just wonderin which would be a bettter buy for a straight beginner. How much power do the bikes have?

Old 08-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 250 or 500

welcome to KF.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:16 AM

I'm a newbie to bikes as well, and I've riden a Ninja 250. It's not a very quick bike, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting in trouble with it. The 500 has another 20 or so HP, but it's also a bit heavier. Even if the bike has a lot of power, that doesn't mean you have to WOT shift it all the time!
For me, I like the 500 better because it's not as small. I'm 5'11" and the 500 just fits me better. But there are tall people that like the 250 better.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

hey thanx a lot for the quick response and input. DO you have a 500? Do you think its too much power or too dangerous for a complete beginner rider? from what I read about the 250 it doest have very much get up and go...but then again I don't want TOO much . Also does a 500 take much maintenance?

Old 08-22-2006, 03:00 AM

ORIGINAL: longinforabike

hey thanx a lot for the quick response and input. DO you have a 500? Do you think its too much power or too dangerous for a complete beginner rider? from what I read about the 250 it doest have very much get up and go...but then again I don't want TOO much . Also does a 500 take much maintenance?
I don't have a 500 yet, but I hope to get one soon! I take my MSF course in two weeks, and I'm sure I'll be real eager to ride after that! The 250 isn't THAT slow, just not extremely quick! It's a very fun bike, I had a blast driving it! It handles really well, and is very easy for a beginner to learn on. I just think I'd be more comfortable on something a little bigger.
As for the 500 having too much power, I'm no expert on that, but I feel I should be able to handle it ok as my first bike. I don't plan to be cranking on the throttle until I'm very comfortable with it. But from what I've read, the 500 is also an excelllent first bike.
Maintenance wise, I believe the 250 and 500 are very similar. I don't believe they require anything extreme. My Dad has had a '97 250 for over a year and the only thing he's done is an oil change.
Here's a great site for more info on the Ninja 250s: http://www.ninja250.com/home.htm

Old 08-22-2006, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanx so much for being so informative. I really appreciate it!! I still don't know which one...I would like to give rides sometimes too. you'll have to let me know when you get your bike what you think about it. Tell me if it was dangerous or easy to learn on. Any more information? I'd be glad to hear it.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a 250, and a 750. To me, power isn't everything. I enjoy riding both equally. There are times when I'm on the 250 wishing I had that extra get-up and go, but the 250 is just WAY lighter weight, and is extremely easy to handle!

Don't listen to people that say all bikes are death wishes, It's mainly the Dumbass riders doing stupid crap that gives everyone else a bad rap. If you are responsible, a bike is for you. If you are not, then don't buy one.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

First of all welcome to KF! I have a 500 and it was/is my first bike. I had never driven one before. I took the safety course and once I got my license - I jumped on my 500 and have been having a ball ever since

This is my second year and I find that as I gain more experience, I find the 500 even more fun. Last year I took it pretty easy as I was a bit nervous, didn't really want to push things too fast. This year is a bit different, I know my abilities and I do not outride them. I know the 500 has a heck of a lot more than what I'm using - but then again I can use that next year.

I find for me, this bike has been a great confidence builder. And its nice to know that you've got that extra power if you need it. I think they are a great bike!!!!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

awesome! thanx! I like what I hear about the 500 better than the 250. I'm gonna want to ride on the Interstate and I'm assuming the 500 handles better...isn't blown around as much. I saw that the new ones are priced around 5000. What price range do you guys think i'm lookin at for a used 2003-2006? I also think that If I get the 500 I'll be happy with it for a few years wheras the 250 I'm gonna get bored! Not cool! But i'm not gonna be one of those people who drives with no respect for the lives of others!! Whats the MSF course like? How do you sign up for it and stuff? Do you have to use your own bike, or do they have one? I would like to get my license pretty soon so if someone could give me the details on how to do that, thad be great!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Both bikes are great for what they were designed to do. In places like so cal where it seems like you have to use the interstate to go anywhere at all the 500 has the advantage of being able to cruise at highway speeds without having to wring it out. The 500 was/is my first bike as well and until I got my liscense a year ago, I had no experience riding a motorcycle, so it is pretty safe to say that the 500 is a good bike for new riders. It has respectable torque up to about 5 thousand rpm, then the power band gets a little flat until about 7 thousand, then it will really go from 7 thousand to redline (at about 10,500).

A used bike in good condition will probably be in the neighborhood of 3k.

As far as the MSF course, try the MSF website. it will give you pricing, locations, available dates and what to expect at the course. You will want to take the Basic Rider Safety course. Really, all you need to attend the safety course is sturdy boots that cover your ankle and a long sleeve shirt/jacket (providing your own leather gloves is optional). They can provide you with gloves and a helmet if you don't already own your own.

The MSF course is a great way to introduce anyone into the sport of motorcycling becuase it is designed to build rider confidence in small increments in a controlled environment. The best part is that the instructors are really supportive. If you are struggling with something they will take time to help you sort it out without making you feel like an idiot or making you look like an idiot in front of the rest of the class.

Quick Reply: 250 or 500