2008 Ninja 250R Gas Tank Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2008 Ninja 250R Gas Tank Noise?

Hey guys/gals, I am a first operator of a new 2008 Ninja 250R. From the very first day I have been hearing a noise from the gas tank just like some of the other post on this forum. I have checked the hose and there is no kink in it. I have just put 125 miles on it and have had the oil changed. There is still close to a half tank left of dealer gas from pick up.

I can open the gas cap to relieve the pressure but in a few seconds up to a few minutes you can be in the garage and hear the noise start up again while it is sitting out on the sidewalk in front of the house.

Any ideas?

Oh, forgot to add, I am sure I am about to hear a lot of flack for buying a 250R as my first bike and yes I am already ready for some more horse. It is sort of small but it will do for a year or two.

Please help me with my gas tank issue.

Also, I ride about 18 miles one direction to work, all highway, will the rpm's at about 7K kill my engine? I am thinking about dropping my rear sprocket from a 45 to a 41 to help lower my RPM and do understand that I will lose power else where, but I am ok with that as I do more highway riding than any other roads.

Thanks for any tips and nice to meet you all.....

Bryan

Old 05-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Default RE: 2008 Ninja 250R Gas Tank Noise?

hey bryan,
listen bro.. first off the gas tank noise is common on any bike! so it's nothing unusual. when i first bought my bike the noise was very obnoctious, but after about 300 miles it rarely makes the noise and again like i said this is common on every bike.

And to add your comment on buying a 250 for your first bike, that is a very wise choice. you will learn the fundumentals of bike riding much faster, safer, and easier. This bike is as slow as people think. Once you pass the break in period and you rev it up threw the power band you can get 0-60 in under 6 seconds. With a little bit of engine work (since it is carburated and you can play with it a little more) you can get it close to 5 second 0-60.

And as for the highway riding, i recomend you do what i did, for the first 5 gears keep the rpm under 5k. And then for 6th gear just rev up to whatever speed you need to go to. i didnt have any problems with my engine at all and i drive on the highway every day 12 miles and i go about 90-100 the whole way tahts about 10k rpm and absolutely no problem.

good luck bro

Old 05-12-2008, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks bmwpl7! I am waiting to hit the 9 to 10K rpm range until I hit about 500 miles. Thanks for the information on the gas tank. People have sort of looked at me like I was backing up a truck when I was in a parking lot one time and I could also hear it riding down the highway with a helmet on. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Bryan

Old 05-16-2008, 01:36 AM

ORIGINAL: bmwpl7

hey bryan,
listen bro.. first off the gas tank noise is common on any bike! so it's nothing unusual.
HUH?????
I have been riding motorcycles almost 30 years now, have literally owned dozens over the years & not a single one except this 250R I bought for my wife has even made this noise.

I guarantee there will be a recall to fix this issue.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

That's what my brother says as well as he is a mechanic but for Harley. He said we are losing power somewhere because of the pressure loss. There is pressure leaking out the tank because there is something either stopped up in the lines, or something else that is going on with the gas flow. The dealers are all saying it is normal because I have called almost 6 different locations. I just think it is very strange.

Bryan

Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a 2006 ninja 250r and the noise varies by temperature, in the winter the noise is much less and in the summer the noise it louder. it is common so i would not worry about it. remember this is a vented tank, that sits on top of an engine that is cooling down, so there will be some pressure loss as the engine cools down causing the tank to and gas inside to contract in size.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Why is the tank vented verses different tanks on other models of bikes? Today, while riding, my father was riding his Harley in front of my on a 35mph road and I was staggard behind him but pretty close and as loud as his bike is, he could hear it.When we went into his house, my brother came home and sat on my bike and stood it up, and we heard the noise in our living room and it was like an alarm that told us someone was out there. That noise is horrible and it comes and goes. I wonder if I can order a different type of gas tank if that is the problem?

Bryan

Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2008 Ninja 250R Gas Tank Noise / KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.

Kawasaki's response to my question about the gas tank noise. I wonder what it would sound likeif about 10 to 20 brand new 250's showed up after riding for 15 miles during a get together? It would sound like a musical orchrastra, right? I still do not think that it is right.A neighbor which is 1 full acre away walked over and asked why my bike was making that noise. I said it was a new fad. I would not have bought this bike if I knew it was going to do this all of the time. Other than the horrible noise, it is a fun bike. Bryan

KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.

Dear Mr. Yauger:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your concerns with your EX250-J8F.

As described in your email below; what you are hearing is a normal venting noise. The fuel tank builds up pressure which is then vented through the fuel cap assembly, many of our units have similar noises but I have been told the EX250 is more prominent. This noise is a normal function of the fuel systems with no way of altering or stopping it. When the unit is parked the quickest way to vent the tank would be to simply pop the cap quickly, this will put an end to the vent noise you are hearing. Obviously this is not a possibility if it is occurring while riding however.

Should you have any further questions please feel free to contact us at (949) 460-5688.

Sincerely,

KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.