2008 250r vs used 500r

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Default 2008 250r vs used 500r

The 2008 Ninja 250r is very appealing and I was just about to get one. OTOH, I'm starting to seriously wonder if a used 500r used is a better choice for my particular needs. Key issues:

- I live in the East Village section of NYC. Park on the street between cars, moving it every couple days for alt side pkng, no parking garages here at earthly rates avail (that I know of). That means that propensity to be knocked over + theft concerns are an issue. My neighbor parks a new Triumph Rocket III here, and so far no probs (expensive bike, but it is 800 lbs.) Center stand would make me feel a whole lot better.

- Driving conditions: mostly city, but at least once a week taking a cruise out to the beaches etc is something i'm doing more of.

1. Centerstand. 500 has one, new 250 doesn't. Could be important for street parking since on my current scooter, when I left it on the side stand, I found the bike on its side *2* times and watched it nearly go over a third (was able to scream to save it that time). Ever since i've used the centerstand, I've seen it physically moved a few inches *numerous* times but it's never gone over (must be getting tapped and/or someone gets out and moves it). Seems logical to me that cars will routinely tap you when trying to get in/out of a space. On the centerstand it can survive the nudge whereas a light bike on a sidestand is going DOWN, especially a Ninja. True?

2. Performance. we're talking twice the cc's. CAN ANYONE COMMENT if that's really a world of difference that i'll appreciate especially since some people say that the 250r feels too under-powered very quickly? OTOH, I love shifting and I hear that it's a ton of fun to wind through the 250's gears, the only bike really where you can do so at legal speeds. ALSO, and this might be big, since I live in the city, maybe a bigger engine is gonna get boring when you never leave 2nd or 3rd gear most of the time, the 250 might shine better in manhattan. again, correct me if you know better. So this issue could point either way.

3. Looks. I think the 250 is amazingly handsome at this price, while the current 500 is BUTT UGLY! It really needs a restyling like the 250 just got. When you see it in the brochure it seems like a typo and they only give it half a page. BUT- maybe this is an advantage on some level since it will get less attention than the sexy 250. I'll just have to get laid less (kidding!)
The 500 also has less fairings to break off if it does fall.

4. Price. They are really exactly the same. I found a dealer out of state who'll do the new 250 for $3500 total (let's keep this point for another post rather than talking about it here, but assume it's true). An '05-'07 used 500 are all over craigslist for about the same price. In either case, I'd pay taxes and reg myself.

So... Which would you go for if you were me?? And any insight to compare the 2 bikes would be really appreciated. I'll keep this thread updated.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 2008 250r vs used 500r

for your purposes the 500 is probably the best choice. and the styling will probably grow on you a little

Old 04-22-2008, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you want the New 250r more then the 500r. Get what makes you happy.
If you don't leave the City much go with the 250r.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 PM

I have to agree with korax. Take a good long look at each of them side by side, make a decision, and don't look back. I had an 01 250 and I thought it wasn't really sporty-looking enough, so I sold it to buy a gsxr600, which was set up as a race bike with the intention of restoring it to street-legal status. Ended up selling the bugger in pursuit of an 08 ninja 250 because I love how light it is and the ridiculous gas mileage. It's great for putting around town.

Like I said, pick one and don't look back.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I gotta say everyone is right... Now hear me out. KB is right about the styling growing on you. No matter what your first bike is going to be (no offense to your scooter ) you will love it until the end of time, ie. no one knows they've had an ugly baby. korax is completely right with in saying get what makes you happy but you have to think about what would make you happy in the long run looks are great for now but if your a person that is going to use this bike for everyday riding and fun (twisties, etc.) and you can be a bit adventurous then you might need the little extra gogo. Everyone Iride w/over 120 lbs.(male/female) that has bought a 250 and rides just to ride, gas mileage aside, has grown out of there 250. Just last year I had two peeps I ride w/ and they both bought new 250 and turned around and bought 600 just due to out growing the bike. So you have to decide if you just want a commuter or something for a bit more.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AHUFFY

I gotta say everyone is right... Now hear me out. KB is right about the styling growing on you. No matter what your first bike is going to be (no offense to your scooter ) you will love it until the end of time, ie. no one knows they've had an ugly baby. korax is completely right with in saying get what makes you happy but you have to think about what would make you happy in the long run looks are great for now but if your a person that is going to use this bike for everyday riding and fun (twisties, etc.) and you can be a bit adventurous then you might need the little extra gogo. Everyone Iride w/over 120 lbs.(male/female) that has bought a 250 and rides just to ride, gas mileage aside, has grown out of there 250. Just last year I had two peeps I ride w/ and they both bought new 250 and turned around and bought 600 just due to out growing the bike. So you have to decide if you just want a commuter or something for a bit more.
To really out grow the 250 you would first need to use the full potential of the bike. Which if you don't race it you will never get the full potential. People move on from the 250 because they want to go faster, thats pretty much the bottom line. But if you use the 250 as a commuter it can't be beat for as mch fun as you can have and the gas mileage it can get. I have had my 250 for 1 year now and still love it. Cost me $7 a week in fuel riding 150-175 miles. But I do want a 600cc just for the heck of it. I plan on keeping the little 250 when I get a 600cc bike also.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Korax is exactly right except forthe race thing. I'veNEVER been in a race with my 600 but have been through the twisties on a 600 and a 250 and you don't have the pull or fell w/ a 250 and that's what I was saying you need to figure out exactly why you're getting it. If you're the type of person that wants just a commuter bike then it's an easy choice get the 250 with no question. But it sounds like J has a scooter for that. Nothing against the 250 I'm looking for one right now butin my experience if you're a little more "agressive" rider you can quikly out grow it. Another thing if you ever plan on having anyone on the back you'll also need to think about that. Good luck J and keep us informed.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

the 500 stills gets good milage - has twice the torque which makes the putting around town more enjoyable.

250's can really carry speed through turns but thats not commuting for most people. going through town having a little more umph is all the fun you can really add.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
cls
1st Gear Member

Here we go...You're going to have to decide for yourself (Which I know you know.). You're going to get mixed answers. It all depends on what you want, and what you like. You probably don't even know the answer to that, yet. We certainly don't.

I've had many bikes, of all styles, including the litre and bullet bikes ('Busa, ZX14, GSVXR1000, CBR's, etc.), and I love my '08 250. It's a much better bike than the previous generation model, IMO. BUT, it's a personal thing. To me, it's the essence of elemental motorcycling. It's very light, very easy, and very eager: Loads of fun, w/o all the expense, risk, and liability of the bigger bikes. That is not necessarily good, or bad. It is just so.

My buddies that rode my '06 250 hated it. They just couldn't understand why I loved it. You either need to be a rank beginner, or an experienced enthusiast to really appreciate it, I think. If you're new, you're going to eventually want to try something more. That's only natural for most folks. If you've already been there, you appreciate the 250 for what it is.

A few things are for sure: It's ultra-light and quick handling; it's very cheap and economical; it's very forgiving, easy, and fun to use; and it, absolutely w/o doubt, has the heart of a sportbike. After all that, it's in your hands.

Enjoy!

BTW, I'd go for the new 250. Then, again, I always go for new (Almost always.). You have to love looking at it every time you walk up to it.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:30 AM

I am getting the 250 because I am a new rider, and I should learn how to ride on this bike before I get a bigger bike. My goal is to learn how to ride properly, and not kill myself.

If you want a bigger bike, get it.

But remember, when you're going 120mph and fall off, you'd be thinking "why didn't I get the 250"

Quick Reply: 2008 250r vs used 500r