08' ninja....love it or hate it - owners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Default 08' ninja....love it or hate it - owners?

Hi all!
I'm waiting to get my 08' in and was hoping for some feedback as to what you guys thought of yours since you actually have it in hand and I don't. I'm coming off an 04 250r. If anyone else is coming from the old ones...what's your fav. improvment...what do you miss? any just in general pros and cons

Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 08' ninja....love it or hate it - owners?

test

Old 07-23-2008, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

the biggest thing I noticed is the MUCH improved suspension. the old suspension was soft an mushy. the 08s suspension is much more solid...... and adjustable!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default my 2 cents

I don't have an 08 but an 07 but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. From what I know the handling is better, ride a bit stiffer, more midrange punch at the sacrifice of top end power and looks waay more modern. Sorry I don't have an 08 but here are some good sites with some interesting reviews you might want to look at.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...50r/index.html

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...article_id=816

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...50r-75782.html

Although I thought that cycle worlds review was strange. They list the 08 hp at 27.2 down from 36, 14.3ft.lb down from 18.2, 0-60 at 7.6 up from 5.7 and 1/4 at 15.54 up from 14.6 compared to the 07. Now I understand it also gained 40-45lbs and I guess they had to lower the power so they could beef up the midrange but it seems like a big change. Could their numbers be wrong?? Oh and BTW ninjakid that song you got at the bottom of all your posts is one of my favorite Linkin Park songs, ROCK ON, lol..

Old 07-26-2008, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

i own an '08...but ive never riden/owned any other bike before so i have nothing to compare it to. so here's what i think...its the perfect bike for commuting (which is why i bought it) since ive been getting about 70mpg, is great for city driving...handles great...smooth yet firm, highway riding i feel it gives me plenty to work with (topped out at 110mph...felt great the entire time), handle bar position is awesome...i dont feel like im leaning to far forward, overall its a GREAT FIRST BIKE FOR ME...I LOVE IT! if u have any further questions simply pm me and i'd be glad to give u more specific details.

Last edited by live4perfection; 08-05-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought an '08 Ninja 250R in GREEN in February and I love it. Not my first bike, but the smallest of the 5 street bikes I've owned since 2000. I rode two different 2001 ZRX1200R for about 4 years, an SV650S for about 2 and a ZR-7 was my first street bike. Great performance for a 250 and it handles great. Oh, and I installed a Two Brothers bolt on can about a month ago....makes the lil machine sound good.

Attached Thumbnails  08' ninja....love it or hate it - owners?-ssc_0086.jpg  
Old 07-27-2008, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default better pic of the TBR can

here ya go:

Attached Thumbnails  08' ninja....love it or hate it - owners?-ssc_0085.jpg  
Old 07-27-2008, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I have always been curious about the 250R. My first bike is my 650R and practically is my only experience.

Must say the new '08 is a HUGE improvement. Saw one on the road the other day and it took me a couple of looks to figure out what it really was. Luckily it was a new rider and he was circling the area of the gas station I stopped at to refresh myself with a solid Amped (Go Jr.!). I have to admit my first look told me it was a 650R!

Definately shaped it to look like a bigger bike and left off the 250R moniker to fool those not educated in sport bikes. The new 2-to-1 exhaust gives it quite a nice growl for a 1/4 liter bike. Not bad and such an agreeable price.

How is this bike for experienced riders? I have heard so many opinions and want to hear feedback from others that don't write articles in magazines where money comes into play.

I love my 650R and really enjoy the power it has. It has great low / midrange power for easy commuting but not an obscene amount to make you nervous or never to be used. Heard this is similar with the 250R but does it lack the "fun factor"? Or does the weight difference make up for the power loss so you still get the nice pull feel when you twist the throttle back?

I have always wanted to test ride a 250R but do not know anyone that has one and there is no such thing of test riding a motorcycle at a dealership haha. Really looking into this especially since my girl wants to start riding and wants a sports bike like mine. I like the new '08 for being adjustable for the suspension so it can fit to her height and its not too heavy so she can pick it up when it gets dropped. I am trying to persuade her away from power like I have cause the way she drives a car and having a careless attitude towards these machines. I also don't want something that she would get bored of after awhile either, especially if she is always falling behind and playing catch up when riding together.

Thoughts and opinions?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dsm3383
I am trying to persuade her away from power like I have cause the way she drives a car and having a careless attitude towards these machines. I also don't want something that she would get bored of after awhile either, especially if she is always falling behind and playing catch up when riding together.

Thoughts and opinions?
Just remember that an inexperienced rider can get left behind playing catch up even with more displacement/horsepower. I've been riding a long time, mostly on bikes of 650cc or more (Two of them were Kawi ZRX1200R models). If that's what you're worried about slow down and let her keep up and learn to ride. I ride with experienced riders on litre bikes on my 08 Ninja 250R and don't much worry about it. I can stay with with them in the twisty stuff and do pretty well in the sweepers with them. But the groups I ride with are considerate of what I ride and keep me in their mirrors when the speeds get to much for the baby Ninja.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:52 PM

I got my 250R back in April and so far it's proved to be a pretty reliable little bike. If you're looking for something that's going to do 0 to 60 in three seconds then you're out of luck, but if you want a solid city commuter then this is ideal.

My main complaint is that the bike does seem vastly underpowered. I guess I should have come to expect that when I bought it, but sometimes I find myself not accelerating nearly as fast as I'd like. It's a chore to leave stops in anything other than first or second gear.

I personally would opt for the 650cc bigger brother if I had a second chance, but for a 250 it doesn't get much better than this. Ride safe, man.

Quick Reply: 08' ninja....love it or hate it - owners?