New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

2014 KLX250s trouble shooting

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 04:45 AM
Cool 2014 KLX250s trouble shooting

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and I wish I signed up earlier. Just recently (1 week ago) my 2014 KLX250s has been acting very strange. To give some context I ate **** on the street while riding and I got back up and continued to ride home. I inspected the bike for damage and it was fine (at first) just some scratches on the plastics and a scratch on the left side of the crankcase. After I spilled her I took a couple-day break from riding her since I was banged up on my left arm (road rash sucks... wear gear). Anyways, a few days went by and I took her for another ride just 5 minutes away from my house. in the middle of the ride she seized up on me. What I didn't notice was that there was a small crack on the left side of the crankcase... It had been leaking a very minimal amount of oil from it since I spilled her so I never realized it. When I got my bike back home (my buddy picked me up and we towed her back to my house) I realized that there was no oil in it. I topped her up with oil and of course she started/cranked for a few seconds but then died. Since my bike is an electric start I tried to start her again but it would just make the clicking sound from the starter, it wouldn't crank at all.

So when all of that happened I looked into forums and reading through reddit and everything I was reading made it seem like it was an electrical issue (which it could still very much be). I ended up talking to some buddies and some of them thought it was the stator, so I ended up just buying and replacing my stator and regulator. I installed both of those today and the bike still was making the click sounds from the starter. I then checked to see if my engine was seized and I believe it was but I ended up being able to unseize it by manually cranking it with a socket. This helped it out a lot cause now it can start and crank, but when it idles it takes a few seconds then gives up and stalls. I ended up replacing the battery and charging it up from autozone but it still is giving me a pain in my rear. The voltage was at 12.6v after I charged it (checked it with a multimeter). Obviously with me not being able to ride it the battery can only be charged from a charger. I checked the electrical (for the most part). Mostly by the fuses and a few grounding bolts but I haven't seen anything wrong with any of it. I checked with both multimeter and a two-lead tester.

Does any one have any idea on what else this can be? I really don't want to tear the engine open but if I have to, it is what it is. Below I'll put exactly what I have done so far and I'll edit it down the rode as we figure this out.

Thanks much for any opinions/advice!

(Things done so far)
9/1/2024 - put in new oil
9/5/2024 - put in a new stator, regulator, new battery, new spark plug, tested some electrical, cleaned and checked carburetor, cleaned and checked air filter/box, and checked some fuses.

This was the spark plug I removed and I just installed a new one.

Crack on the inside of the crank case

scratch plus small crack on left crank case

Old 09-06-2024, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Start listening in different areas around the engine. Use a mechanic's stethoscope or long handle screwdriver with the handle against your ear (stethoscopes are under $10). Place the tip different places. Wherever the noise is the loudest is where the problem is.

There is a good chance there has been that tick there before, but now you are noticing it because of your post crash inspection. But I still recommend doing the stethoscope thing. I got mine at Harbor Freight for around 8 bucks. Looked them up and they are $7.99.

Old 09-07-2024, 02:28 AM

ALRIGHTY I got her fixed! I searched every part on the actual electric and there was nothing wrong with the electric so I ended up searching through the airbox and nothing was there either. I took a peek at the gas tank and to my surprise the 2 breather hoses that come out of it had oil and some dirt trapped up inside the actuall white tubes. I blew air through the both of them and ended up unclogging both of them.

I then put everything back together and added seafoam to both the crankcase and gas tank and it fired right up! It scared me at first cause it sounded like it was going to die, but it was just idling rough. Ended up adjusting my carb and that was it!