Just picked up a 2022 KLX300SM! What Mods should I consider?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 04:05 PM

I have a '23 & love it! Dealer had installed tuner & an aftermarket exhaust. Too loud. Added db killer tip, still too loud. Reinstalled stock exhaust, just right & probably help our posterity breath better. Also removed tuner. Didn't notice power loss. Installed tail tidy lights, rode behind my friend on it, could barely see turn signals. Will probably reinstall stock turn signals or other individual LED ones. I've found that aftermarket stuff isn't always as well engineered as factory equipment. Removing the secondary throttle plate & spring was beneficial to the throttle response. Bar risers and a gel seat pad were a vast improvement in rideability. Plan to add a windscreen soon. A significantly larger tank and cruise control would make this bike just about perfect. It's so light and fun my S1000XR is collecting dust in the barn.

Old 06-21-2024, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EdKY
I have a '23 & love it! Dealer had installed tuner & an aftermarket exhaust. Too loud. Added db killer tip, still too loud. Reinstalled stock exhaust, just right & probably help our posterity breath better. Also removed tuner. Didn't notice power loss. Installed tail tidy lights, rode behind my friend on it, could barely see turn signals. Will probably reinstall stock turn signals or other individual LED ones. I've found that aftermarket stuff isn't always as well engineered as factory equipment. Removing the secondary throttle plate & spring was beneficial to the throttle response. Bar risers and a gel seat pad were a vast improvement in rideability. Plan to add a windscreen soon. A significantly larger tank and cruise control would make this bike just about perfect. It's so light and fun my S1000XR is collecting dust in the barn.
I'm happy for you.
I've been riding small motorcycles for transportation for 59 years, and the KLX300SM is the best bike I've ever owned. You did good removing the tuner as it's not needed with the stock exhaust.

I put an IMS 2.7 tank on mine and it works great. It only uses just one hose (fuel) underneath and vents out the top of the cap. It allows removal of that big tangle of emissions hoses.