ZX7 lights switch mod , Marcelino method

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ZX7 lights switch mod , Marcelino method

For DIY people who need a functional and esteticaly pleasing lights switch on the KLX 250.

Necesary materials :
Right side switch assy , I used a 2000 ZX7 one ( it has exactly the same styling ) , could work with a ZX 750 one or some others that have more or less the same style .
Soldering iron ,solder , copper wire and heat-shrink tubing .

Unmount the seat , plastic side covers , plastic radiator covers , fuel tank , speedo front cover ( mmm, windshield ... ) , headlight and right side switch assembly .
The lights fuse has two wires : brown , power supply with the key on ; red , voltaje output toward all the lights on the bike .

Take off the 3-4 inches of the protection that belongs to the lights fuse , cut the red wire , insulate ( heat shrink ) the part thatīs going to the harness .
Solder a wire ( same gauge ) to the red wire thatīs comig out of the fuse and route it toward the back of the headlight . Use the same route as the factory harness . Use plastic protection tube for the wire , same kind with the bikeīs original , you can open and pass some of it trough the big one that pases on the right side of the stem . Use the bikeīs plastic tiewraps ( they have a little latch that opens them ) , add some of your own if you feel is necessary .

The ZX7 lights switch is a double switch , has two pairs of wires : a red pair and a blue pair . The red pair corresponds to positions and the blue one is headlight . The left side dimmer switch ( HI/LOW beam ) has 3 wires : red , headlight power supply ; red/black , output for Hi beam ; red/yellow , output for low beam . Do not mix the RED with the red/black and the red/yellow wires .

At some 12-14 inches out from the left handlebar switch cut ( with a cutter ) ONLY the the plastic protection , then look for the RED wire and cut it .
You will have to solder as follows :
The wire thatīs coming from the lights fuse to one of the reds thatīs coming from the right side switch .
The other red wire (itīs pair) together with one of the blues soldered to the red wire that you cut on the left side , to the piece thatīs going towards the back of the bike . ( 3 wires together )
The blue thatīs left to the red wire going in to the dimmer switch ( left switch )
It does not matter wich red respectively wich blue you choose from the pairs coming out of the right side switch.

Put the original engine start and emergency engine stop in the new body ( 3 philips screws ) .
Solder , do not use " quick connectors " , use heat shrink not tape , use plastic protections on top of the wires , donīt let them rub . Fix the protections with tape .

It may be a good idea to draw yourelf a little diagram , just to check yourself if you have understood the modifications .
If you donīt know where the fuses are , what is heat-shrink or how to draw a basic diagram with 2 switches and 4 wires PLEASE do not atempt this mod .

Last edited by Marcelino; 05-15-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: refrazed contents
Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting.....

How much did this cost you? I saw another mod like this where if the bike was started with light switch in high, lights would be turned off. Flip the switch down and lights come on. I would like to do a light mod....still looking at them, seems there are a few.

By chance, did you notice a fuel consumption change with the head light being off? I always wondered if the bright light makes the bike work harder. I like good fuel economy!

Good work, thanks

Red

Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I did a simple mod where the headlight turns off when cranking. I piggybacked terminals 85 & 86 from the starter relay onto the coil side of my new relay. I ran the headlight circuit though 30 & 87a terminals on the contact side. Helps reduce current draw especially during cold morning starts when extended cranking is sometimes required.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I checked all over eBay and couldn't find any of those switch setups. All the RH switches didn't have the headlight switch. I checked the OEM parts fiche too and a new one (assuming the US version has the switch on it) is $115. Ouch.

For $26 I ordered a custom-made wire for H4 headlights that lets you add your own toggle switch for turning the headlight off and on. That'll have to do.

Rob

Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Brigade
By chance, did you notice a fuel consumption change with the head light being off? I always wondered if the bright light makes the bike work harder. I like good fuel economy!
The light being on would have no effect on fuel economy.

So whats the point of this mod?

Last edited by EMS_0525; 08-30-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
The light being on would have no effect on fuel economy.

In some countries it is illegal to have your light on in the daytime. The switch is easier then opening the seat and removing fuses.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankee99
In some countries it is illegal to have your light on in the daytime. The switch is easier then opening the seat and removing fuses.
Serious??? Illegal to have lights on? Talk about a nanny-state... having someone tell you when you can and can't use your lights is going a bit overboard, don't you think?

Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

During the day I always have my light set on high beam. Bike is already so small and hard to see. Hopping the bright light heps get it noticed.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink Full moon madness

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I like to be able to have the headlight(s) off when starting any vehicle. It should come from the factory with a circuit as mentioned a few posts up that turns off the headlight when cranking. I don't get into my car, turn on the headlights and then try to start the car.

I also like to turn off the headlight riding on a deserted road when the moon is full.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
... I also like to turn off the headlight riding on a deserted road when the moon is full.
...with the Police in hot pursuit...

Quick Reply: ZX7 lights switch mod , Marcelino method