your mods (the good, the bad, and the ugly)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Default your mods (the good, the bad, and the ugly)

slowly starting to do up my klx 250s after buying it for the wife a few years back, and it not being used much. decided to keep it but make it a little more bush friendly. installed hand guards, 49t rear sprocket, twin air, dynojet kit, power bomb, and q4. so far so good, this thing really woke up. kk 330 kit coming next week. my question is what have you guys done to your bikes that you like, don't like and would recommend or not. cause once you start modding its hard to stop

Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I would highly recommend the suspension. Other than that seems like you got the other main things covered.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Here are some free mods.
Remove the strap that goes across the seat. You can move around much better. Remove the kick stand switch. It sometimes malfunctions. To lose a little weight, remove the smog stuff.

I like the 12oclock labs speedo correction, The AC-10’s. Nothing really that I don’t like.

Last edited by cmott426; 04-10-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Suspension!!!

I'm 6'1" and the Guts Racing tall seat made a world of difference for me.

Skid plate, bar risers, grip heaters (it gets chilly here).

Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

quick turn throttle, magura 314. as per "poor mans pumper"
major improvement in response,and comfort
marc

Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

You must install a real skid plate and real barkbusters with a bar in them to protect the levers, perches, and controls. Then you must install radiator braces as the radiators are very expensive and will bend into crap if you look at them funny.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 PM

tweaked the suspension, which worked awesome. rad and engine guards are on the list, I think I have dodged a few bullets there for sure. any ideas on the hideous fear fender, maybe after market tank, a kickstarter, and a rear rack. I love racks.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a kickstarter and it doesn't get used. The value in the kickstarter is that you have a plan B. The mod costs several hundred dollars and I can't say it is a must-do mod.

The rear fender becomes non-hideous with the addition of the appropriate edge taillight kit. The drawback to this is that the edge kit is not as bright (safe) as the stocker. Looks way better and is way less prone to damage.

Aftermarket tank. Well, this depends on your riding. Off road especially, the KLX is a gas hog. I hit the reserveon the OEM tank after 46 miles of desert racing last weekend. That's only a couple of hours. The 3 gallon IMS tank would indeed get you a more respectable range but it is not cheap and the filler cap is not lockable like OEM. I have heard you can buy a locking cap though.

Flushmount blinkers in the rear. Baja designs sells stout ones that last. Anything with a stalk will break if you ride this thing off-road.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

stickers

Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Dont need a kick starter, just roll start. Had to do it recently with my flat battery.

Quick Reply: your mods (the good, the bad, and the ugly)