Young, Dumb, and...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Young, Dumb, and...

Toppled my bike tonight. Now the throttle's sticking and the front brake lever is bent in a "U". The front brake lever will be cake, but the sticking throttle is a new one. What can cause this? It was dark, so I didn't have a real good chance to look, but I noticed that the bars punched through the rubber on that side. I'll be taking a better look after classes tomorrow, but any possible cures or ideas would be much appreciated. Guess I'm still learning.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

When I did pretty much the same thing with my bike...

The rubber was mushed and mashed, pieces of the underlying plastic were missing which allowed the rubber to mangle bits of itself into the tube and the scraped bar end.

The problem is the oem waffle grips are like glued like crazy to the throttle tube. Basically as I surgically scrapped the rubber off the throttle tube I realized the majority of the plastic tube was cracked and broken... only being held together by the rubber grip.

I had to buy a new grip. It sucked too considering the new grip conveniently has that lovely oem grip glued to it again... and I was going with new bars, grips, etc.

Maybe you will get lucky and just be able to chop of the end of the throttle tube and get by for now... but mine was shattered.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Ha, the way my luck goes, I'll have to get a new bike! That's good to know, although my grip doesn't seem to be quite as on there as yours. I've noticed that the grip can twist on the throttle...thingy on the inside edge. Thanks for the advice. Any other possibilities from anyone?

Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

How did you dump it if I might ask, just about 20min I had my fiance on the back of my klx250sf and I was telling her how "cones don't mean **** to a supermoto" about to barrel down this road and I had my high beam on and the road I usually go down had been dug into a huge trench, I can tell you I slowed down realy effin quick. That would have been bad!!! As to your options, I'd have to say a new grip is the only real safe thing to do, trying to salvage what you got might end up in the throttle sticking at a bad time.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

If the throttle tube isn't binding up then it could be the cable guide is smashed. Get some lever guards. They pay for themselves pretty quick. I won't tell you how many times I dropped mine and everything still works.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

This is the second time I've heard the handguard tip and I think it's finally sunk in. I just looked at some throttle tubes on RMATVMC (just to price them out, in case) and was wondering if something from a kx would work? As long as it has the same diameter bars it should, right?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I just installed my hand guards, and I love them already for sure. If I were to do it again, and with the situation you're in, I'd get a new throttle tube since they aren't too expensive. The glue, as mentioned above, was a pain to "surgically" remove so I would do a new tube since you're looking at bars and all... But I'm also new to all of this! Best luck!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Missed your post Matt. It's been misting/raining all day here and a little too much throttle and a DOT legal trials tire are apparently a real bad combo for that. So, I wound up on a sidewalk face down with scraped up knees, but none worse for the wear, and the bike wound up about 15 feet short of me. I was only going 15mph or so. The young and dumb rears its ugly head once in a while. Picked her up and had to turn her over a few times before the fuel got back to the carb and I was off, way more cautious. Somehow I came off on the high side, but the bike laid itself down on the lower side... Still a hair foggy, happened pretty quick. Still learning.

Mike

Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

We're all "still learning". You might try loosening the throttle assy and moving it outward. My manual shows a small indexing dowel in the bars that is meant to help lawyers sleep better, oh.....sorry, meant to keep the throttle assy from moving, so don't tap it too hard to the right. I haven't tipped the klx over yet but know it's going to happen. Me and a bunch old (58-75 yrs) ex AFM racers are always amazed we're riding our 250's at these speeds. 250 cc dual sport singles, with oem tires, on wet pavement.
LikesToThump has got it right. I tried getting the throttle grip off once. My neighbor, a block away, said she heard me. That adhesive is amazing. It seems to have melted ( dissolved?) the plastic of the throttle and the rubber of the grip.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey Hunnietoast,
I'm not really considering new bars quite yet (I'd like to get through my wrecking ball days before I do). I tweaked the left side a while ago and got used to it, now I tweaked the right side and I think they're even again. God works in mysterious ways, haha. But I think I am considering a new tube, but I'll have to review it in daylight to make sure. Anyone have any opinions, I saw aluminum ones with bearings and plastic ones...?

Mike

Quick Reply: Young, Dumb, and...