You knew this was coming...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default You knew this was coming...

It should come as no shock to anyone who has read my posts over the past few days. I could use some help.Here is what I have done in the past few nights.

Installed the FMF Q2 and FSW head pipe.
Changed the main jet 118 -> 122.
Changed the pilot jet 35 -> 38.
Installed the Kuoba T-handle fuel air screw (slightly over 2 turns out which is where the stock one was).
Installed the N1TC needle (clip in second position from the top).
Drilled slide vent hole to 7/64.

I have a UNI filter to install but I need to oil it first.

I installed the carb, routed and secured the various hoses and wire bundles, and hooked up the gas tank.
I turned the fuel on and let it sit while I finished installing the plastic and seat (somewhat optimistic
to completely reassymble at this point but I was feeling lucky). I took maybe five minutes to get it started.
The first thing I noticed was that it was idling low (about 900 rpm). I adjusted it to about 1400 rpm. Next
I smelled smoke so I grabbed a fire extinguisher. Turned out to be the coating on the head pipe burning off.
It gave me a good scare though.

Now comes the fun part. The bike felt different right away. It seemed to like running at a higher rpm and was
not quite as torquey down low. It definitely makes it power higher up. 60 mph came and went before I knew it
and I'm not exaggerating. Flying through the gears the front wheel gave the indication of coming off the ground
but I don't think it ever did.

I did not notice any abnormal traits as I accerlerated. No surging, bogging, or sudden loss of power. All was well.
That is until I closed the throttle anyway. On decel I get a sputtering/popping. Not sure where this is coming from.

Any ideas?

Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Default RE: You knew this was coming...

this might not fix your problem, but i think you should go to a bigger main jet. most guys are running 128 or at least 125 with your mods. try turning your air screw out another half a turn and see if the popping gets better.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

it's probably running lean there. try moving the clip on the needle down one slot and see how that goes.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

my bike is runnin fat....... 125 main, pilot 40, needle on second position, uni air filter, big gun, air screw 2.5 tuns out......

Old 06-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

is it running fat or phat?...lol
ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

my bike is runnin fat....... 125 main, pilot 40, needle on second position, uni air filter, big gun, air screw 2.5 tuns out......

Old 06-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

if you mean sh***y by phat..... then yes........[:'(]

Old 06-20-2007, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

If I turn the fuel screw out another half turn and the popping goes away (or decreases) would you still recomment moving to a bigger main?

DC

Old 06-20-2007, 05:59 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Are you sure you have the screw out 2 turns?
remember its 360deg not 180deg so its actually 4 turns of the t-handle.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

First let me say how great this site is. I have spent a fair amount of time learning from others here. I had hoped that being one of the few to go the FMF route would provide me with some knowledge that I could share. You know, giving back to the people is always a good thing. Anyway thanks to everyone.

With that said here is how I changed out the stock fuel air screw.

After I drilled out the plug over the stock screw I lightly bottomed out the screw. Imagining that it started at the 12:00 O'clock position, I turned 360 degrees twice.So 720 degrees put me back at 12:00 O'clock. It then turned to about the 1:30 clock position before it bottommed out that put it at about 745 degrees out. I then removed it and placed the stock spring and o-ring on the Kuoba screw. I lightly bottomed this one and backed it out about 745 degrees.

One thing that I did notice about the two screws was that the Kuoba has more threads on it. Comparing the two it looked as though the distance between where the threads end/shoulder begins to the end of the screw were the same. It took more turns to bottom it out and towards the end it became somewhat difficult to turn. I wonder if I turned it too far down and thus did not back it out enough?

Quick Reply: You knew this was coming...