Yo EMS...you see this

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:47 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
That bike Nobrakes posted is a race bike....not a dual like his 450 or even a 525 exc. The true compromise bike is the two-smoke xc-w....either 200, 250 or 300....I've ridden all three, almost 50 lbs less than Brian's with easy power valve adjustment for mild to wild riding in seconds.

The 200 has a shorter wheel base and different rake....the 250 and 300 are the same, cept power. I see you on a 300 ..... just like me when the prices come down a bit.
The XC-W I posted is essentially the uncorked EXC without the lights and blinkers. It has the exact same tranny ratios, engine, frame, suspension, etc. The EXC comes with the stopped up exhaust (quick dremel fix), overly lean jetting, and the smog stuff - all that stuff is normally removed before the 2nd ride anyway. So a quick stop at some place like Baja Designs (might need a different stator+regulator, not 100% sure on that) for the lights will make it street legal as the frame does not state "off road only" which is the snag that causes the problem at the DMV. Not a problem with this bike.

And you'll have the same issue with the 2-smokes w/regard to plating as with the XC-W.

Which bike you get would really depend on the type of riding you do most and what you prefer - 2 smoke vs 4. Personally I'm not ready to make the jump to 2st - too many downsides, fuel economy being one, not so much the price, but this past weekend's ride I would have had to fill up about 4 times which is a PITA esp. when you have to carry your own premix. And besides, I'm very happy with the bike I have so I am not looking to replace it.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

NB, you been taking classes at the IG school? I never suggested you should switch bikes.

I'm glad you like your bike, I got no issues carrying a little two-smoke oil, 6oz is a LOT of gas . And typically a smoker of half the displacement gets close to the runtime of a 4 stroke of double the displacement, but not quite.

BTW the 07 and newer 2-smoke xc-w's come out the door with a plate. No issues in any state that I am aware of...... you know deep down inside you want a plated smoker..lol

Old 10-17-2008, 05:16 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

NB, you been taking classes at the IG school? I never suggested you should switch bikes.
That's kind of uncalled for isn't it? I never said you suggested I should switch bikes, not sure where that's coming from. You mentioned some pros, I mentioned a few cons and that makes me IG? I can't believe you played the IG card.

Regarding mileage, the numbers I've seen in the 2t forum on TT suggest they get high 20s in MPG. But I see they have bigger tanks to help even it out. Still not as convenient as straight from the pump, though, IMO. You think differently, that's fine.

As for plated, that might be something the dealer does but I don't think they come that way from the factory like the EXC model. So if the dealer can do it for the 2t, they can do the same for the 4t as well. So when I said you have the same plating issues with a 2t vs 4t KTM if it doesn't already come with a plate, my point was that it's not really an issue because you made it sound like the 525 XC-W I posted was somehow going to be a problem because it was a "race bike". But it won't any more of a problem than the 2t's you mentioned. I still think that 525 would be a great bike - it's low hours, basically all prepped with the mandatory mods, and goes above and beyond with about a thousand dollars worth of suspension work. I bet it is a sweet ride. But again, I think it would be a lot to handle in the tight woods, so it really depends on where and what type of riding you do.

... you know deep down inside you want a plated smoker..lol
Well, you got me there, that is true. I'm just not willing to give up my current bike to get one. Maybe someday though.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeh, bit harsh showing NB the IG card.

All the EXC's are ADR compliant here in Aus, meaning they can all be plated without issue.
(not 100% sure about the 125 and 200)
And I must admit, the e start 250 sure looks tempting.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I rode in the ANF with a guy that plated a 2005 kdx220...pretty cool.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
That's kind of uncalled for isn't it? I never said you suggested I should switch bikes, not sure where that's coming from. You mentioned some pros, I mentioned a few cons and that makes me IG? I can't believe you played the IG card.
No man, it was meant to be sarcastic...but I just read it and it didn't come across that way. It's tough to get it right in the written word when your laptop battery is dieing. I was just messin with ya.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
No man, it was meant to be sarcastic...but I just read it and it didn't come across that way. It's tough to get it right in the written word when your laptop battery is dieing. I was just messin with ya.
No hard feelings man, but comparing someone to IG is worse than insulting their mother - that should just off limits unless you are really pissed of at them and even then it's probably out of bounds.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

What up guys?

Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dang it, get the bug spray, they are spreading.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej

Dang it, get the bug spray, they are spreading.
That's not all thats spreading.... a little politics.

Quick Reply: Yo EMS...you see this