Yesterday's helmet cam - near Ft. Bragg

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That's my helmet visor. The camera is mounted at about eye level, so you see what I see, pretty much.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You need to post up your whole unit..(huh huh huh he said unit) so we can see how you carry it and how big it is......ok no matter how you shake it (also funny) it doesn't sound right. I better stop right now.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I just realized I don't seem have have any photos of my "unit", as you call it.

But here's a screen shot from one of the clips, it's upside down in this photo, about the size of a larger sized cordless phone, and has a built-in lcd display so you can check the camera orientation:

I carry it in the left side pocket of my back pack. While I can start and stop it by removing it with my left hand while riding, that is kind of cumbersome, and not too safe, so I generally don't do that any more. Instead, it comes with a little remote control to start/stop the recording. Unfortunately, the remote is not reliable when strapped to the handlebar with the "unit" in my pack, so what I do is have the remote attached to one of my back pack straps back there, "dangling free", and I just "reach around" and push the start or stop button and that has worked great, I never have to remove it from the pack, so my "unit" stays safe and secure.

The cord just goes up the outside of my pack to my helmet. It's a pretty nice setup. The only thing more convenient would be a completely self contained "unit", so you wouldn't have to carry anything else. But I haven't found any of those that match the quality of this one. They should be getting there soon, though, I'd say probably within a year or two if not before.

BTW, it is waterproof, dust proof, shock proof, and solidly built to withstand the elements - perfect for the harsh environment of off-road riding.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks for sharing,....... and thanks for sharing the right unit.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

So you mean everybody lands on there *** sometimes?? I'm glad to know it's not just me!

Nive Vid NB. Is that area far from home turf or in your backyard. looks great. Not that much flat stuff around here and the damp sand looks perfect for riding and easy on the laydowns.

GOTTA LOVE IT!!

So when are you getting your helmet cam wipers installed.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
So you mean everybody lands on there *** sometimes?? I'm glad to know it's not just me!

Nive Vid NB. Is that area far from home turf or in your backyard. looks great. Not that much flat stuff around here and the damp sand looks perfect for riding and easy on the laydowns.

GOTTA LOVE IT!!

So when are you getting your helmet cam wipers installed.
Yeah, I try to include my own bloopers, too, not just my buds'.

If I go 70 MPH down US-1, it's about an hour away. That's a little harsh on the 450 EXC and my off-road tires. If I take back roads, where the 450 is happier, it looks like its about 2 hours. Doable, but 2 hours down and 2 hours back = 4 hours of pavement and that is not very appealing to me either. So I just haul it down in the F-150, unload at a shopping center parking lot, and am right there at the trails. So, not quite in my back yard, but only about an hour or so away if I truck it. If I had something like what those guys ride, I'd just ride it down. A Husqvarna TE610 would be my preference.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
Great video. Fun.
What camera do you use? Is it expensive?

I was joking about the burnout to bury the rear and a means to park. But that is what you do... Cool!

Thanks for the great video.
SlapDrum
Sorry, I don't think I answered this. It is a VIO POV.1. It is expensive, around $700 for the setup, but it is good quality, not only in the video and audio, but also in construction, it is tough as nails. So you might be able to find something cheaper that has as good video quality, but maybe not as durable, this thing is like a brick. When the camera head hit that tree a while back, it just tore it off the mount and off my helmet, dragging behind me on on the ground. The camera and cable was fine, I just had to buy a new mount.

But this kind of technology is improving rapidly. For that price next year, you'll probably be able to get Hi Def, and this one might be half that price. That's my guess anyway.