Yes, another handle bar post

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Yes, another handle bar post

I want to replace my stock handle bars. After reading many posts in this forum, I was think I would get a set of Pro-Taper KX "high" bars because I like the factory bars except for the fact they are too low when I stand on the foot pegs.

After reading some more on the error'net, it seems like the Renthal Twin-walls might be worth twice the cost. What I'm unsure of it what bend to get and whether they will mount with the stock hardware on my motorcycle. I have Acerbis handguards that I need to mount too if that makes a difference.

The main reason I'm looking at the Renthal Twin-walls is to keep vibration low so my hands don't go numb. An extra ~$65 is much cheaper then time off work, an office visit to the doctor, or the discomfort caused by hurting wrists (too much time in a prior life in bad ergonomics at work).

Best Regards,
Sid

Old 12-10-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Yes, another handle bar post

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Tusk Universal Handlebar Riser Kit 7/8" Bars
Regular: $24.99
Our price: $19.99
Part# 1134270003

Name:  tus_06_uni_han_ris_kit.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  9.4 KB

Adjustable 7/8" handlebar risers allow you to adjust the handlebar height for preferred personal comfort and control.
Designed to fit existing 7/8" bar clamps.
Kit includes hardened aluminum spacers to give an optional 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, and 35mm height increase over stock.
Complete with strong 12.9 tensile strength Chromoly Steel bolts for one set of handlebars.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do

Old 12-10-2007, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Freaking nice! I wanted to raise my bars a bit but saw no need to replace the stockers until they bent...perfect! Thanks.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the above Tusk risers and their $25 aluminum bars and ProGrip 714(?) thick grips and the vibes were decreased considerably over stock. Adding the wrap around handguards dropped the vibes even more. I used to have my throttle hand go numb on my 20 minute commute to work. Now, 150 miles continuous (stopping for gas ~60 miles) doesn't bother me at all.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:03 AM

Numb hands??? This thing is smooth compaired to a grumpy BMW Boxer that needs some plugs, a valve adjustment, and a throttlebody synch!

Has anyone tried that Bar Snake? Ive heard of people dumping buckshot in handlebars to help with vibration.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the tips so far. I appreciate the low cost options of putting simple risers on but, I really think I want to spend a little more and get good bars. Pro-Taper SE's run ~$60 which isn't bad since it includes what appears to be a good cross bar pad too. Add $12 for some new grips and I should be set.

Are the KX High handle bars too high for plodding along for hours on end on sedate trails? Are they too extreme for commuting? How do my factory bars rate in terms of the measurements I see here: http://www.protaper.com/contents/pro...lebars/se.html ?

As you can probably tell, I'm having trouble figuring out the bend spec's ... []

Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Hey Sid,

I have the KX high bend with a set of pro taper grips (i cant remember what sort - but i forked the extra few dollars for the more expensive ones) - Great bars, great grips and they have sufficient room for my barkbusters.

I am 178cm (5 11') with what i consider longer arms than most. I originally put the bars on with my bar rise kit (20mm) and it was fantastic, then took the kit out last week to see the difference. I found the KX high bend on their own are high enough for cruising around town for hours, and also good in the bush.At thisstage I will put the rise kit back on as i feel more comfortable with it. - You will find that you can angle the bars forward or backward to suit your preference. The main point to note with the KX highs is that its the outermost part of the bar is high and not so much the rise itself.

There are so many bars out there to compare - but the pro tapers are good value.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6391/CBCC1A7A7EFD4AB4A27697587E1ED198.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought the KX high bend as well; but went with the cheaper Tusk ALUM I have bent them a couple of times! so I'm just starting tolooking for a bar with a little more strength

The kx high fit very well with no riser kit I 'm 5'8 with lonng arms and legs and a short body. yup, I am a knuckle dragger.[sm=guilty.gif]

Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Wedge, how did you guys fare down there with the flooding? Hope everything is OK.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

not to derail but since you ask.............

My little piece of land is 65 ft above Black lake/river and most gravel,so even when it pours it drains really fast
however my dad and stepmom were evacuated out of Oakville and I am doing some serious cleaning. The stepmom is
disabled and my dad spends 95% of his time taking care of her.

my wife has been calling, scheduling, and acting like a general contractor trying to get things lined up, my dads most prized
playboy collection from the 60's & 70's is gone []
but otherwise they are doing fine and staying in a hotel

Quick Reply: Yes, another handle bar post